OneCare firewall block all internet access RRS feed

• Question

• With Live OneCare firewall active I am unable to connect to the internet. OneCare was just installed and has current updates as well as XP SP2.

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:53 PM

Answers

•  JSimo wrote:

The drive was basic when I installed then I converted it to dynamic. Does this make a difference? If so, why? And if so why not mention of not doing the conversation?

OneCare v2 will not install to a PC with Dynamic Disk partitions due to the way the file signatures change on a Dynamic disk. The OneCare firewall can't deal with that.

OneCare only checks at install (and never did until 2.0).

Why did you choose to change to Dynamic?

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:15 AM

All replies

• If you open OneCare and click on change settings and then turn off the firewall, is access restored?

If so, I suggest contacting support as I suspect you may have another software firewall component in place on the PC. What was your previous protection on the PC?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Steve

This was a new install, with all the updates and such on a newly formated drive then installed OneCare as the only security. Everything was working OK, firewall and anti-virus including all updates, where I did the install but when I took the computer home and set it up, I got network connection (peer to peer) but not internet. The anti-virus works fine but when the firewall is turned on, no internet.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:14 AM
  • I'd still suggest support at this point. Is this a wireless or wired connection? What OS?

Can you determine from the network status if it has received an IP address and configuration when the firewall is on?

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:34 AM
  • I will contact support in the morning.

It is wired, using XP Pro SP2 with the lastest updates as of last Thursday. I usually get IP from DHCP (not everytime) and have been able to conect with other computers on the network, just can't connect to the internet. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card and released and renewed the connection.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:49 AM
  • One other thing to check, but this may not apply for a new install. What is your partition type for you hard drive? Basic or Dynamic? If it is the latter, OneCare should not have installed.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:15 PM
  • The drive was basic when I installed then I converted it to dynamic. Does this make a difference? If so, why? And if so why not mention of not doing the conversation?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:28 AM
  • I have had this problem for over a month, and have spent more than 20 hours over many calls from Windows Live Help, they keep trying to resolve it but have no success. They have looked over my system many times and can't seem to resolve the issue.  They have not called back in over a week.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:02 PM
  •  JSimo wrote:

The drive was basic when I installed then I converted it to dynamic. Does this make a difference? If so, why? And if so why not mention of not doing the conversation?

OneCare v2 will not install to a PC with Dynamic Disk partitions due to the way the file signatures change on a Dynamic disk. The OneCare firewall can't deal with that.

OneCare only checks at install (and never did until 2.0).

Why did you choose to change to Dynamic?

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:15 AM
  •  Pocooper wrote:
    I have had this problem for over a month, and have spent more than 20 hours over many calls from Windows Live Help, they keep trying to resolve it but have no success. They have looked over my system many times and can't seem to resolve the issue.  They have not called back in over a week.

If support has not called you back, please contact them again and note that you have an open case and are awaiting call back. If you don't get a response, post the case ID and I'll report it for you.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:17 AM
  • I am having the same problem... Clean install of Window XP SP1 (Dell system restore) on a new harddrive. Downloaded and installed Service Pack 2.  Installed all drivers from Dell.  Updated nVidia drivers because of problem with SP2.  Downloaded Live OneCare.  Rebooted.  No Internet until I disable OneCare firewall. I have had this same problem with another pc but was able to solve it by disconnecting the network cable then clearing OneCare then reconnecting the network and selecting Home or Work.  Doesn't work with this pc.....

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:10 AM
  •  mwharmon wrote:

I am having the same problem... Clean install of Window XP SP1 (Dell system restore) on a new harddrive. Downloaded and installed Service Pack 2.  Installed all drivers from Dell.  Updated nVidia drivers because of problem with SP2.  Downloaded Live OneCare.  Rebooted.  No Internet until I disable OneCare firewall. I have had this same problem with another pc but was able to solve it by disconnecting the network cable then clearing OneCare then reconnecting the network and selecting Home or Work.  Doesn't work with this pc.....

You may want to look at this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2497220&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:44 PM