Welcome to the Microsoft Genuine User Community! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello!

Welcome to the Microsoft Genuine Users Community! The purpose of this forum is for you to give us feedback about our program! We will check this on a daily basis and do our best to respond to user issues, comments, or suggestions quickly.

The Effects of Software Piracy

The Business Software Alliance reported that, in 2004, an incredible thirty-five percent of software used worldwide was unlicensed, pirated, or counterfeit. Additionally, many users of counterfeit and unlicensed software are not aware that their software is not genuine. The negative impact of software piracy is not limited to these consumers, who spend millions each year on software. It also has a negative impact on local and regional economies, as well as the global economy. A recent report from the market research firm IDC found that, if the global software piracy rate was lowered just 10 percentage points over the next 4 years, this would contribute a total of 2.4 million new jobs and $400 billion in economic growth to the global economy. For more information about how software piracy affects communities and nations, see market research firm IDC’s 2005 IDC Economic Impact Study report on the economic effects of software piracy.

Microsoft supports efforts that aim to strengthen local, national, and global economies and to provide customers with software that helps them realize their full potential.

Microsoft works to protect customers and encourage a healthy software ecosystem through the Microsoft Genuine Software Initiative.

The Commitment to Anti-Piracy

Microsoft wants customers to understand that unlicensed and pirated software threatens not only the entire software industry, but also other industries that create products built on intellectual property. Most importantly, Microsoft wants customers to realize the benefits of genuine software.

By educating customers about anti-piracy, working with partners around the world to improve enforcement, and investing in technology to make it easier to identify and protect against counterfeit software, Microsoft can better ensure that users and businesses will fully enjoy the benefits of using quality, supported software.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:07 PM

All replies

• thank you , where are we going with this? the problems are real and errors are going to be there and then from those who tell us about the wrong that has been done  seem not to be able to help  those who have corrected the error by buying the needed thing.
    Monday, May 1, 2006 6:47 PM
  • Grobler:

Are you having ordering problems?

I'm sorry, I cannot seem to interpret your posting. Could you reiterate? Our team needs as much clear information as possible to be able to provide the best service possible.

Thanks,

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 1, 2006 6:51 PM
  • sorry about all this it is the frist time that i am doing all this e-mailing i type so badly and it takes me so long to put all that has happened clearly i just want to have my windows legel and i have done this a year ago and just because of acepting you recent update i am trying my best to do what you (microsoft) have wanted a year ago and all i uderstand is try this and .... well the story you know
    Monday, May 1, 2006 8:05 PM
  • no no no i just want to get this new problem sorted out this resent update has caused all this e-mailling with no real help.fair enough i am to blame but i did buy the legal cd a year ago but was told that it was not that easy to do.  i cant go in all the detail just reading about all that has been reported to you (microsoft) you must have known that those that will want to do what is right the oportunity should have been prepared to be given to them. i know that i am only an end user and also a novice in these matters but what i have being wanting to do has been impossible to do before. only until now we have the method you have chosen to achive what has been along time wanting.and you have no clear  answer.
    Monday, May 1, 2006 8:29 PM
  • Grobler:

Does your Product Key attached to your CD Media match your COA? COA information can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

What is the validation failure message you are recieving?

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 7:43 AM
  • i'm sick of this microsoft genuine stuff

Thursday, May 4, 2006 7:11 PM
  • can't make out what is genuine . why don't you control the market through legal means? What prevent you to take action against fake stuff. and incidentaly penalise innocent people like us.
    Friday, May 12, 2006 7:24 PM
  • I have a problem.....my computer crashed I took it to a computer store to get it fix...they did and they installed Windows XP SP2.....now am trying to update my computer and I'm told that it is Not Genuine.... What am I to do ???...I would but a key but thats $10, 000 Jamaican dollars not including shipping and handling.
    Saturday, May 20, 2006 4:16 PM
  • I want you to know how unhappy I am.  Microsoft says I have an illegal copy of Windows XP professional and wants me to buy a new one. I have my CD with the orginal jacket in hand. I have the product Key, but it was purchased in late 2002  and I can't re-install because my updates have my system as a newer version than the one I am trying to re-install.  This is really enough to make me want to leave Microsoft and join the Apple club.  They must be hurting for more money.  They want people who have allready purcased their software to have to purchase it again.  What an scam company.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:11 PM
  • no it doesn't because i bought my legal copy after the copy that a friend used to install xp in place of my windows 95. if it was not legal why was i able to have updates before with no problem? bar this last update.i have a genuine copy but your company is having this problem under development.i find this very strange. working with people is like that when they are shown their wrong you should have the solution for them too.but now i still fined it difficult to uderstand why u are asking the question that i am replying to. my situation is plain and simple i have just put the cart before the horse. that is i did not install xp with my copy i was able to use xp with my friend's copy. so please don't ask me these kind of questions i am not upset with you like another customer's e-mail you sent me.so i am not going to ans that e-mail alert you sent. i have a genuine copy. help me .
    Monday, May 22, 2006 3:53 PM
  • I agree.

I bought my computer used and was assured that XP was licensed and correct.  Now suddenly I have to buy new software for my P2 500 GhZ word processor computer that's worth about 300.00.

I have no disk, no receipt, and, apparently, no recourse but to pay the proverbial mob boss protection money to protect me from....... them????

Just great.

Az Dude

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:43 PM
  • The fact IS that any automated verification WILL reject some legitimate operating systems.

In some cases keys will be blocked because some unknown person duplicated the key with a key generator.

In other cases the proper media wasn’t available when the system was serviced.

Or a volume licensee owner sells a computer upon which they installed Windows with the volume license key over the OEM OS that the computer came with.

In these cases legitimate owners have to invest significant time or money because WGA cripples LEGITIMATE and operational operating systems. Legitimate retailers shouldn’t have to expend support resources on customers who are the victims of the OS version of “identity theft” (unknown person duplicated the key). Since small HONEST custom builders sometimes sell their business to others or don’t always succeed, it’s quite common for the OEM to not be available.

But the arrogant management at Microsoft DOESN’T CARE if legitimate users are inconvenienced. They treat all of us like thieves with their buggy Product Activation, Windows Genuine Advantage and Genuine Advantage Notification. And the unfortunate Microsoft employees have to cope with all the outraged customers that are justifiably MAD AS ####!

The repeated “Restart Now?” pop-ups that interupt every few minutes after downloading an update don’t help either.

I could VERY EASILY cheer a class action lawsuit that would hit Microsoft’s management and stockholders HARD over these issues.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:04 PM
  •  robertVA wrote:
    The fact IS that any automated verification WILL reject some legitimate operating systems.

In some cases keys will be blocked because some unknown person duplicated the key with a key generator.

In other cases the proper media wasn’t available when the system was serviced.

Or a volume licensee owner sells a computer upon which they installed Windows with the volume license key over the OEM OS that the computer came with.

In these cases legitimate owners have to invest significant time or money because WGA cripples LEGITIMATE and operational operating systems.

<snip>

RobertVA,

I disagree with your contention that the last two examples are examples of legitimate installations of XP.  In no way shape or form could these be considered legitimate installations; in fact in both of your examples, the legitimate installation is replaced with a counterfeit, and furthermore, typically both examples results in an XP Home Edition installation being "promoted" to XP Pro.

I also disagree with your statement that Windows Validation and WGA "cripple" legitimate operating systems.  These installations are of course barred from manual Windows Updates and some nice-to-have downloads, but by any standard of hyperbole that does not constitute "cripple."

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:31 AM
  • The very fact that you did not receive a disk with your copy of Windows goes to prove that it's counterfeit. All licensed copies of Windows come with the original hologram installation disc, a CoA and a copy of the EULA. If any of these items are missing, it's probable you have received a counterfeit copy.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:35 AM
  • Hi

Your best bet would be to reinstall your OS with the the CD you received with your legal copy of Windows. After that, Windows Genuine Notifier update won't bug you.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:37 AM
  • I, like others in this thread, have gotten the message about invalid use.  I ran the diagnostic:
    WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J8BM6-MXPH6-3R2BW
    Windows Product Key Hash: YMRVitCEjlJfwDQfjDvm97FbWA4=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00103
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: Expired code.
    ID: 7d17c2b8-6793-4936-834b-6003b1b45dbd
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>7d17c2b8-6793-4936-834b-6003b1b45dbd</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3R2BW</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00103</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4291529783-1581131531-265791498</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway</Manufacturer><Model>7426GX</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix</Manufacturer><Version>NS.00.05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050310000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Gateway,Gateway,Gateway,Gateway</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>009F3B07018400EA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Small Business</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>6AB049FEEF342B6</Val><Hash>UNspAzTl6I022suzFetOyYzQ7K4=</Hash><Pid>54188-OEM-1793071-18043</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

So why do I get the message if I have a valid code?  One this unusual, the message says Windows XP Professional and I have the home edition....What's up?  Thank you.
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 4:24 AM
  • Sullivan,

This result in the report indicates a problem with the active-x controls currently installed:  Download Center code: Expired code.

Try revalidating at this site:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

Let us know how it goes.

Saturday, June 3, 2006 4:10 PM
  • i can not do that at present to reinstall i just want to know long is this getting genuine going to take place? i do have genuine copy. thanks hendry
    Sunday, June 4, 2006 4:44 PM
  • hi,taken months of fonecalls to blueyonder,dell ,symantec etc;etc; to get to this page.No wonder I had a stroke!I've done 7 re-formats in the past 9 months,all put down to configuration problems by the afore-mentioned.Hope it's all over now!!!
    Friday, June 9, 2006 11:01 AM
  •  I have purchased a new Windows XP Pro and have received convermation via my e-mail with "How to convert your counterfeit windows XP software to a genuine copy of windows xp. I received a new product key and I tried for hours to validate my new product key with the link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=45668 but I keep getting an error measage Error: ox80004005 and Blocked "VLK". It also tells me that some files are missing? How can I get the files from Microsft update if they will not let me update because of having a counterfeit copy of XP Pro? I must also mention that the info still has my old Product Key on the list?

James A Lurtsma Jr

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:22 PM
  • I am very disappointed with the approach that Microsoft seems to be taking with this Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool.  It seems like a bad idea on so many levels.  It is one thing to validate my copy of Windows the first time it is installed (activation) and everytime I attempt to download updates and patches thereafter.  It is quite another to install software on my machine that runs unbidden and surreptitiously connects to the internet to exchange data with a server every time I boot turn it on.  Your defense may be "we don't collect any personally identifiable information."  To which I say "So what!"  Shouldn't I be allowed to control what information emanates from my computer whether it is "personally identifiable" or not?

I bought and paid for my hardware.  I bought and paid for my operating system and applications.  I pay for my internet connection.  I want some control over the stuff that is mine and do not appreciate it being used by Microsoft for their own vague purposes.  You need to re-think the approach.  Develop a removal tool for wgatray.exe, wganotify.exe, and legitcheckcontrol.dll and put all those very smart Microsoft programmers to work finding a way to prevent piracy without installing this kind of software, without creating a hint of invasion of privacy, and without putting an undue burden on the consumer.  This would go some way toward wiping the egg off your face that this little experiment has put there and toward fulfilling that committment to "trustworthy computing" that you made some time ago.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 7:46 PM
  • Hi my freint, i think from my understanding you dont have to by or do any think at al, i reseve a semilar notice and is been about 6 weeks , with no problems i just have the simble ther wich says my windows are not genuing, not that is my fault for that i have my brother in low to blame never the less that simble does not stop you form getting updates is just a bid anoying,thats all so just live it alone and let me know what you think.your frient costas.
    Monday, June 19, 2006 8:08 AM
  • j'ai besoin les  mais ce n'est rien de 'acheter mais avec
    Monday, June 19, 2006 9:19 PM
  •  

I ordered and got Genuine Disk now show me how to get back all I lost installing it.

It took all day just to started as backed up my documents but now it says there is noting on disk. Also check my account as how many was send? Then when time to

register from five letters and numbers for half hour before they would accept them

just what is going on at MS now?

Francis Canfield

Ps: please besure I do have regestered Genuine PX Pro

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:26 PM
  • Just exactly how many times does it take to install this same update?  It's listed in my programs in Control Panel.  It was listed there the last time you wanted me to install this.  And the time before . . . I've always just reinstalled it, but, come on!  Enough is enough!
    Friday, June 30, 2006 12:27 AM
  • OK Phil,

This is probably not the place to write this, but here goes.  I have tried to download Internet Explores 4 or 5 times but each time the download goes smoothly, but the problem comes in the extracting process.  When I click on the download icon in Download Manager It gives me 3 yello bars then the essage comes up this file is corrupted and I cnnot extract further.  this happens in both the run now option and the save to file option.  I have gone in and removed all references to the I E 7 by searching the drive and there is nothing on the change/remove programs list.  I have tried it with my McAfee Firewall, Virus programn and span killer off and on.  Doesn't make any difference..

Suggestions?

George 

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:32 AM
  • If this is true, then why do some manufacturers such as Dell charge extra for the WinXP cd?  Does this mean those who do not pay for the XP restore CD are getting an illegitimate copy.  Dell is not the only one who does this.  Many computer manufacturers have OEM installations without the infamous hologram CD--you simply get a restore CD.  So I guess there are millions of illegitimate copies that people paid hundreds of dollars for.  I am trying to fix a Northgate computer now that has a valid COA and a restore CD.  WAG did cripple this machine and displayed annoying popups.  After installing WAG update, many of the standard features did not work--manage compure, user accounts, sysinfo, etc... I guess when you buy a computer from a company that went out of business, MS considers the OEM version no longer genuine since the company who bought it is expired.  Yes this computer was a complete, boxed computer with XP home and no keys were compromised or copied.  I am having to slick this machine and start over and have told the person to turn off automatic updates.
    Friday, June 30, 2006 1:04 PM
  • Would someone please tell me why so many people are determined to continue using MS operating systems.  I switched to another OS 10 years ago because it was becoming clear that MS was unable to produce an OS that was reliable.  It seems they have learnt nothing during the last decade and every subsequent system since Win 95 has been bigger, slower and more bug ridden.  This latest problem with WGA is yet another mistake by MS to grab more money from its users.  The EEC is now moving towards open source software for governments, maybe now Joe Public will see the light and drop MS in favour of the other alternatives.

I will be amazed if this post actually gets published, after all, the solution to everyone's problems is not Microsoft!
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006 9:08 AM
  •  

Good Day Mr. Phil

I need your hrlp in this, I am from egypt and i get one computer laptop from some one from usa with the windows cd and the cd key, but my proplem is my cd is brooked and i need another one. and this is my cd key

( Q4PCW - D3Q8V - TJPTM - RMPM6 - MQ3FD )

Please help me urgent.

B.Regards

A.Gabr 

Thursday, July 6, 2006 11:22 AM
  • I am in the process of getting a validation key for my windows xp. Unfortunately I do not qualify for the complimentary key validation. I am left with the other three options. I would choose the first one: a key validation online with microsoft.

The cost is $149 for xp professional. Since I am a home user i would switch to xp home edition and pay only $99.

That brings me the second barrier. I can not do that online, since the current edition is the xp professional. Then I have to go to a pc retailer and buy the software for home edition.

My question is if I choose to switch from xp professional to xp home edition, can you tell me what I will loose?

Gebs

Sunday, July 9, 2006 4:40 AM
  • And just what effect does Microsoft believe that WGA is having on this piracy? The figures say none at all and if anything, piracy of WGA "protected" products is on the increase.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't condone theft (For that's what it is) of property whether that property is intellectual or otherwise. But neither do I condone intimidating innocent people, particularly when that intimidation is caused by a system which clearly isn't working.

Sunday, July 9, 2006 5:57 PM
  • Gebs,

The way the Genuine Windows Offer is set up, the Offer assumes that you would like to continue to use the installation of XP that you have now, and just "genuine-ize" it.  In many cases the Product Key that you receive with the offer, plus the Key Updater Tool, can do just that, saving the hassle and time of doing a clean installation.

There is no MS-supported method for reverting an installation of XP Pro back to XP Home, short of a full, clean installation of the Operating System.  Given that fact plus the assumption that most folks would rather not take the time to backup data, cleanly install XP, then reinstall all of their programs and data and then tweak their XP installation back to the way they had it, MS has decided for now to not offer XP Home to those who have a nongenuine XP Pro installed.

Here is a chart with the differences between XP Home and Pro:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

If you would like to purchase XP Home, you have some options:

1.  Purchase an OEM license of XP Home from a trusted local or online retailer.  This would be the systembuilder/OEM version that is normally preinstalled if you buy a computer from a small-medium local computer assembler.  A genuine systembuilder/OEM package for XP Home would include a genuine Certificate of Authenticity, a genuine hologram MS XP CDROM, and a genuine User Pamphlet in a shrink-wrapped package that should be sold to you in an outer padded manila envelope with a break-seal systembuilder agreement on the outside label.  http://oem.microsoft.com/script/sites/public/certificate_of_authenticity.htm

At this page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx  choose "Preinstalled Windows COAs" and click on the "more info" and "View previous versions and compare" links.

2.  Purchase a retail boxed copy of XP Home at a local retailer or online.  If you have a genuine full (not upgrade) Windows 98 or Me CD collecting dust, then you can use that CD as the qualifying media which will let you purchase the Upgrade license for XP Home, saving a lot of money.  Recently, these have been on sale at major electronics retailers and office supply stores in the USA for as little as $39.99 after rebate.

There are two major differences between an OEM license and a retail license.

1.  The OEM  license is married to the computer onto which XP is first installed, and cannot be movd to another computer.  The retail license can be moved from one computer to another as many times as you like, as long as it is not activated on more than one computer at a time.

2.  The OEM installation of XP is supported by the OEM and not MS.  If you buy the OEM license and need tech support, you will NOT be able to get it for free from MS.  The retail license of XP is supported by MS tech support.

Monday, July 10, 2006 3:08 PM
  •  Zer0 2000 wrote:

And just what effect does Microsoft believe that WGA is having on this piracy? The figures say none at all and if anything, piracy of WGA "protected" products is on the increase.

Link, or other source, please?

Monday, July 10, 2006 3:10 PM
  • If you don't know where to find such sources you're not qualified to be posting here.

Anyway, it's all immaterial now. After discussions with my employer today and showing them this forum, it was agreed that we do not wish to continue to be associated with a company that harbours the attitudes displayed here and elsewhere. As it was succinctly put, it's one too many straws for this camels back and consequently, we begin phasing out the use of Microsoft products forthwith.

I hope for the sake of remaining customers that Microsoft deeply examines it's position and amends it's attitude toward the people who pay the wages at Redmond.

Monday, July 10, 2006 8:36 PM