restore shared files: why copy these from all the disks? are they shattered around the disks or stored on one disk? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In one of the articles it is described how to restore shared files: look into the folder DE and goto the shared files. then  copy the files to a safe place. Repeat this for all the disks.

I did this and this works for the primary disk. Now i looked into the secondary disk (part of the storage pool) and i see again the folder DE and share files. Looks like if they are the same as on the primary disk. I cannot understand this ... where are the shared files stored? why do i need to copy all the disks (i have an installation of 4 disks) ....

thanks,

AJ

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are referring to this article, it states:
    "This contains parts or all (or none) of the data in the former shared folders or duplicates of this data (if Folder Duplication was selected)."

Note that your files are only under \DE\Shares.
    For files from the shares that had duplication set to on there will be two copies of the file on separate disks.

So you will find one copy on one of you data disks in \DE\Shares but also a second copy of this file (the duplicate) on one of the other disks in \DE\Shares.
    You will have to sort out the original and duplicate files manually
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:40 PM