Installing Money 2005 UK - QFE2 get 'not a valid Win32 application'. error RRS feed

• Question

• I've downmloaded the UK fix Money 2005 UK - QFE2 above but cannot run it. I am getting a box telling me it's not a valid W32 application. So I still cannot open my .mny files after a reinstall. I really don't get this: I've reinstalled onto new PCs a couple of times using the program on the original CD without problem. Now I have a BIG problem. Please can you help? 
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:04 AM

All replies

• I've downmloaded the UK fix Money 2005 UK - QFE2 above but cannot run it. I am getting a box telling me it's not a valid W32 application. So I still cannot open my .mny files after a reinstall. I really don't get this: I've reinstalled onto new PCs a couple of times using the program on the original CD without problem. Now I have a BIG problem. Please can you help? 

What was your original CD? Does it have a version number?

Do you have a copy of your *.mny file from before you installed Money 2005 UK? Do keep copies of your *.mbf and *.mny files on other media.

Did your error message appear during the install of Money 2005 UK, or at what stage did you
    get the error message? What is the actual error message?

If the error did not occur during install, copy Sample.mny from your install folder
    (typically C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\ ) to your Documents folder.  Open Money
    by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.  Migrate
    to the Portfolio.  Does it open properly? If you get an error message, what
    is the actual error message? At what stage does it appear?

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:15 PM
  • No version on the CD label. A Cert. of Authenticity on the CD case has "Money 2005 WIN32 ENGBRIT" and SE271826, also 105-00495 Origin Ireland. I bought it at full price from a reputable retailer.

The error comes up after opening Money Program when I try to open an existing file: "Money cannot locate 'C:\file location or cannot open it, possibly because it is read-only (not so) or you do not have permission to change it (I am an Administrator) or your disk drive is write protected (no). 

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open most recent backup file. (tried this and get the same error message). If the file is being used by another application, close it & try again ('m not aware of any other application that would interfere).'

Tried copying sample.mny as you suggest. This opens the program with the sample file. However if from this page I try File/open/Money Files-/last file I used before the reinstall), after I've entered the password for that file it comes up with 'Money will convert your file so that you can work with it in this version'. On clicking 'Next' very briefly you see the file starting to load then it is overwritten by the error message.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:06 PM
  •  Confirm that you did not use that disk to do anything on the new computer, however. And those previous installs that you used that disk for were several years ago I think. At this point, that disk is not useful. Only the downloaded install file should be used for a Money 2005 install. I would keep an extra copy of that file.

You don't have a *.m12,  *.m11 or *.m12 on your hard disk where the *.mny file is, do you?

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:07 PM
  • Yes, I did use the CD to reinstall Money 2005. Yes, the previous time I used that CD for an install would be late 2011 or early 2012 at the most recent.

As I said in my first posting, I cannot install the Money 2005 UK - QFE2 download. I am getting 'not a valid Win32 application'. I should say I have reinstalled other programs without receiving this message, so the advice I have seen on the MS site which appears to be directed to a general problem is not relevant to mine which seems to be just this one item.

There is quite a raft  of files with .M12 suffix, also an M14. These have appeared since the reinstall. Of course I cannot open them. What are they?

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:39 AM
  • Got a new download of the install file and now I am getting 'Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low mwmory (low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet flie.' The extraction window shows it stuck at avhlpon.wav for quite some minutes.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:30 AM
  • Yes, I did use the CD to reinstall Money 2005. Yes, the previous time I used that CD for an install would be late 2011 or early 2012 at the most recent.

As I said in my first posting, I cannot install the Money 2005 UK - QFE2 download. I am getting 'not a valid Win32 application'. I should say I have reinstalled other programs without receiving this message, so the advice I have seen on the MS site which appears to be directed to a general problem is not relevant to mine which seems to be just this one item.

There is quite a raft  of files with .M12 suffix, also an M14. These have appeared since the reinstall. Of course I cannot open them. What are they?

*.m12 files are copies of Money 2004 files that Money 2005 tried to convert. Look at the dates on the files. The *.m14 file would be a copy of a Money 2005 file. I am not sure about that one, but it would have been produced when a newer Money 2005 tried to convert the older Money 2005 file. There is no version 13. ;-|

Keep a copy of the *.m14 files on different media unless they are really old.

If you had a Money 2004 disk, I think you could install Money 2004 and use the newest *.m14 to continue with.

You can discard the Money 2005 disk that does not say Money 2005 but says copyright 2004. Or keep it as memorabilia.

So how to install the Money 2005 UK QFE2? There are some things to try. I would start by uninstalling Money if it is showing as installed. Then reboot the computer and  install as a different administrative user. I doubt that it will be that easy, but it will take some searching to find the next possible step.

What version of Windows are you running -- Windows 8.1 64-bit?

I plan to split this discussion into an independent thread, which means it will be under a different title In the forum.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:31 PM

*.m12 files are copies of Money 2004 files that Money 2005 tried to convert. Look at the dates on the files. The *.m14 file would be a copy of a Money 2005 file. I am not sure about that one, but it would have been produced when a newer Money 2005 tried to convert the older Money 2005 file. There is no version 13. ;-|

Keep a copy of the *.m14 files on different media unless they are really old.

If you had a Money 2004 disk, I think you could install Money 2004 and use the newest *.m14 to continue with. [i don't]

You can discard the Money 2005 disk that does not say Money 2005 but says copyright 2004. Or keep it as memorabilia. [yet another coaster!]

So how to install the Money 2005 UK QFE2? There are some things to try. I would start by uninstalling Money if it is showing as installed. Then reboot the computer and  install as a different administrative user. I doubt that it will be that easy, but it will take some searching to find the next possible step.

What version of Windows are you running -- Windows 8.1 64-bit?

I plan to split this discussion into an independent thread, which means it will be under a different title In the forum.

I've uninstalled Money and rebooted several times since. I've also deleted the downloaded install files so have a clear playing field. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:04 PM
  • This is a method of doing the Money install where just running the
    Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exeMoney2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe executable does
    not work for you.

a) Start a command line window  by clicking
    Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt
    Make a directory (folder) where you will put the extracted files. If you
    have sufficent permissions, you could type this command:
     md c:\M5UK
    Call the folder what you like but I will use that as an example.

b) Change your folder to the location you;'ve got the install file
    executable.  If it's in your documents folder, then it might jut
    be by typing 'cd %USERPROFILE%\documents'. You could type the full path
    if you know it, but the  %USERPROFILE% represents the users home directory.

c) Run the executable with  certain options. For you, the executable
    is called Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe. So run this command:
     Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe  /c /t:c:\M5UK
    That expands the files into c:\M5UK
    Now change to that directory.
     cd c:\M5UK

d)  Run setup by typing this:
     setup.exe

Let's hope it installs.

If you run into a permissions problem, start the command window as
    adminstrator and start again.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:01 PM
  • This is a method of doing the Money install where just running the
    Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exeMoney2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe executable does
    not work for you.

a) Start a command line window  by clicking
    Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt
    Make a directory (folder) where you will put the extracted files. If you
    have sufficent permissions, you could type this command:
     md c:\M5UK
    Call the folder what you like but I will use that as an example.

b) Change your folder to the location you;'ve got the install file
    executable.  If it's in your documents folder, then it might jut
    be by typing 'cd %USERPROFILE%\documents'. You could type the full path
    if you know it, but the  %USERPROFILE% represents the users home directory.

c) Run the executable with  certain options. For you, the executable
    is called Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe. So run this command:
     Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe  /c /t:c:\M5UK
    That expands the files into c:\M5UK
    Now change to that directory.
     cd c:\M5UK

d)  Run setup by typing this:
     setup.exe

Let's hope it installs.

If you run into a permissions problem, start the command window as
    adminstrator and start again.

We had reached a point where the problem was my inability to open the download install. You suggested I try as a different administrator. I have another PC on my home network so I copied the Money files onto it then downloaded the install onto this 2nd PC. It opened without difficulty and installed the Money Program. This is now able to open the necessary files. I'm happy and grateful for your help in pointing me down the right path.
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:39 AM