COA and reinstalling. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    We as a waste management company (based in the UK), receive a lot of computer equipment under EU WEEE/RoHs directives for recycling. As it's more "green" to reuse rather than break for recycling we try refurbish some. A good chunk of these PC's come with 2000/XP OEM COA's attached to them.What is the legality/procedure of reinstalling the operating systems of these machines for refurbishment for new end users?

Tony

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:42 AM

Answers

• A Microsoft Windows license is only valid if you furnish the new owner with the COA, Product Key, original installation CD, and EULA printed material.  If you only have the COA, then you would not have a valid license.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:54 PM
  •  yesi5287 wrote:

i seem to have lost my COA. is there any way of getting it somewhere.

How to replace your lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Monday, March 17, 2008 5:05 PM

All replies

• A Microsoft Windows license is only valid if you furnish the new owner with the COA, Product Key, original installation CD, and EULA printed material.  If you only have the COA, then you would not have a valid license.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:54 PM
  • Carey, Thanks for the quick reply.

Can I assume that if we have those materials we can re-install with no further problems? Also I have a few further questions:

• Can we print the EULA material ourselves from a Microsoft web source?
    • We notice that several companies, Dell per-se do not supply media with their base units but instead have restore partitions etc. Does this partition count as "original installation CD".
    A concern put to me by one of my technicians, is that if we provide/reinstall OEM software do we get counted as part of the original EEE producers responsibility for the recycling of the WEEE?
    Friday, July 20, 2007 2:15 PM
  • The EULA is contained in all genuine Microsoft software.  There is no need to print it.  Intact Windows recovery or restore partitions qualify as having a vaild recovery method so CDs are not required.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 7:33 PM
  • i seem to have lost my COA. is there any way of getting it somewhere.

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:28 AM
  •  yesi5287 wrote:

i seem to have lost my COA. is there any way of getting it somewhere.

How to replace your lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Monday, March 17, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Hi Razor,

We are also a waste management Approved Treatment Facility in the UK. With regards to your initial question, have you thought about applying for MAR (Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher). This is an excellent program where once accredited, you will be given access to new & legal COA's at a very cost effective price.

Cheers Ed

www.computer-waste.co.uk

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:04 AM