Upgrading system, new MB, CPU, RAM RRS feed

• Question

• My old server is on it last legs. I am going to upgrade the MB, processor and ram. Basically a new system except for the HDs.
    I have about 1TB of data stored on the current server.
    Can I move the HD's to the new system and do a reinstall?
    I could do a clean install using a new HD but how do I keep from losing all the stored data?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:04 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can move the drives to a new system and do a reinstall. Depending on your system configuration, you may need to supply drivers for Windows Home Server setup to see some or all of your disks. If it's only some, and you're able to see the system disk without drivers, you will likely only need to supply them once, during the hardware detection phase in the initial graphical portion of setup. If you need drivers to see your system disk, then you will have to supply drivers for the controller the system disk is connected to twice. The first time is in the initial graphical portion of setup. The second time is jsut after the reboot into text mode setup. In this case, you will have to supply drivers on floppy, because text mode setup doesn't normally accept a USB drive as a source for drivers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:44 PM