onecare versus vista backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently upgraded to vista ultimate and have discovered onecare will not backup encripted files, would any one recomend using vista's backup system instead of onecare's, which is deemed to do the best job ? any thoughts on this topic will be appreciated

Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:46 AM

Answers

• If I were you, I'd use the Vista Complete PC Backup periodically which will allow for a "bare metal" restore, and augment that with the OneCare backup for your day to day documents.

As for the OneCare backup vs. the Vista backup (not the full PC backup), it is really personal preference as both have their own quirks.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:06 PM

All replies

• If I were you, I'd use the Vista Complete PC Backup periodically which will allow for a "bare metal" restore, and augment that with the OneCare backup for your day to day documents.

As for the OneCare backup vs. the Vista backup (not the full PC backup), it is really personal preference as both have their own quirks.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:06 PM
  • i have taken your advice and done a complete backup with vista then a document backup with onecare

thanx steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:58 PM
  • You're welcome. If you ever need to use the restore option from the Vista backup, you'll be very happy that you used this feature. It works great, in my experience, booting from the Vista DVD with the external drive containing the backup attached to the PC. With a bare drive replacing a failed one in the PC, Vista offered to do the restore and it was done in under an hour. :-)

-steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:53 PM
  • i been trying to backup my hard drive useing both vista and one care but both been giving me error report so i was woundering do you know what to do.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:03 AM
  •  lazyboy101 wrote:
    i been trying to backup my hard drive useing both vista and one care but both been giving me error report so i was woundering do you know what to do.

And the error(s) would be?

You may want to contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:55 PM