Can you guys ensure that others don't get into this mess? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I bought Technet plus to test out Vista.  Installed the Vista ISO on a test machine.  Decided to make it a real license and make it into a legal license.  When it timebombed and ask for validation I went online and bought a license for $380+ dollars.  I wanted it to be made into a real legal license.  No media was sent to me.

Activation is now failing. The key regeneration and manual call to validate won't work.

I was told to call product support. I was told that I had to have media before they would regenerate a key.  I have none.  Product support told me to call professional support since the original install was from Technet plus.

I had to pay $259 to speak to a professional support representative.

I am now into this OS for $380+$260 for a total of $640. 

With all due respect, you make it hard to be a Vista owner when dealing with activation problems like this and dealing with the support phone numbers that I have had to call that so far, haven't been helpful.

I will now be calling back in after trying to boot into safe mode and seeing what options the tech support person gives me.

If I am not suppose to be able to go from Technet plus and make it a legal operating system, please block this path so that there are no others like me that get stuck in this mess where I have paid for a license but have no license.

Thank you.

Friday, October 5, 2007 1:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Susan,

Yes, the forums were acting up, but they seem stable today.

Since you revered the install back to the Technet product key, there is not much I can do.

But, when you do find the Full License key, and if you have the same kind of issue with it, as you did before, I suggest trying the below steps:

(If you access to the start button)

1) Click the Start button

2) Type cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

(If you Do Not access to the start button)

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, October 8, 2007 9:39 PM

All replies

• I bought Technet plus.  Installed it on a test machine. 

?????
    Friday, October 5, 2007 3:05 AM
  •  

I used the Technet plus ISO... I then went to windows anytime upgrade and purchase a retail product key to make it into a legal license.

I have been transferred to 5 different support queues now.

Professional.

To Vista general assist

To Vista retail to where they tell me I have to call 1-866-446-0397 tomorrow during business hours.

Order Receipt
    -------------
    Below are the details of your order. This is your receipt for this purchase. Please keep this receipt for your records.

Order Number: 107073
    Order Date: 8/7/2007
    Order Status: Complete

Bill To:
    Susan Bradley
    sbradcpa@pacbell.net

Payment Type: Credit Card
    Account: Visa xxxxxxxxxxxx3119
    Expires: 03/2008
    Card Holder: Susan E. Bradley
    Order Total: USD 388.70

Product                                           Delivery                 Price
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Vista Ultimate Full License               Electronic          USD 359.99
    Tax                                                                    USD 28.71
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total (including Taxes)                                               USD 388.70

Support
    Friday, October 5, 2007 3:09 AM
  • You didn't happen to inadvertantly install the volume licence Enterprise version of Vista, did you?

Friday, October 5, 2007 4:24 AM
  • I installed Vista Ultimate and bought Vista Ultimate.

Friday, October 5, 2007 4:32 AM
  •  

Okay according to Windows Anytime Upgrade folks I have to order a dvd from them for shipping and handling.

Can someone confirm that once I have media that I can then go back to the validation support number and recover the product key?

Friday, October 5, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Hi Susan,

Would you give me the exact error message you get when you Changed Product Keys or when you try to Activate? And have you tried the Activate by Phone method? 

Lastly, would you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread. I'm not sure this will help (since this appears to be an activation issue) but it might.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 5, 2007 6:37 PM
  • I can't run the diagnostic because I can't get 'under" the activation message to run any diagnostic tool. Booting into safe mode demands that I boot into normal mode.

The error message that I get indicates that the activation is having issues with a proxy server.  I can't get under the activation error screen to mess with network settings (DNS etc) to get it to an internet connection.  This has been noted in the SRX notes.

Tried to activate by phone and they are telling me it's an invalid key.  Rebooted it, and it regenerates the same key.

When I talked to activation support they told me they cannot help me unless I have media. I told them that I don't have media.  Once I told them I originally downloaded it from TechNet Plus they indicated it was a professional support issue and sent me to the Technical support queue.

I've called 800-936-4900, 800-642-7676, 866-466-0397, 800-360-7561, 877-666-2296 and 877-444-6799

SRX071004602325 and Vista support 1046249705

I've requested and received a refund of the $259 for Transaction ID 4514468 (thank you for that).

Because the product key via WindowsAnytime is greater than 30days old they product key is no longer on the web site.

I'm about ready to give up and chalk it up to my stupidity for not keeping better track of that WindowsAnytime product key and starting with TechNet Plus's Vista Ultimate ISO as the base.

I've now ordered a WindowsAnytimeUpgrade DVD for $7.95 to obtain media, which will arrive in 10 business days but without a product key it may be a moot point.

Yesterday the code was a proxy error

Today the code is 0xC004C003

The activation server determined the specified product key is in use.

Friday, October 5, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Again, What is the exact error message please.

I'm trying to find you the correct help, but I need exact error messages.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Friday, October 5, 2007 7:38 PM
  • As posted earlier:

"Yesterday the code was a proxy error

Today the code is 0xC004C003

The activation server determined the specified product key is in use."

Add:

Found my notes from yesterday

Yesterday the issue was

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80072efd.html

0x80072EFD indicating a proxy issue and the computer could not go online

Today it is finding the Internet but indicating that the key is in use.

Friday, October 5, 2007 7:40 PM
  •  

Ok, now if I understand the issue correctly, currently (today), when you boot into Vista (with no user input) a Dialog comes up that says "key is in use"? And you are given no other options, is that correct?

If not, could you describe what does happens when you boot into Vista. Please include what dialogs come up, what options are provided and what (if any) you do.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 5, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Vista boots.

I get the log in screen for my username/password

It immediately throws up an activation window saying that I must activate.

I try to go online to validate and it indicates that it can't validate and indicates that the key is in use today (yesterday it was having Internet proxy issues)

If I try to do phone validation, they have indicated to me over the phone that it's coming up with invalid activation

I am offered to enter a product key but I stupidly can't find where I saved/printed that key out.

The only other option I have offers to let me go into reduced functionality so I can buy another product key,

The Vista online store called me back and they have no way to replace my lost key.  Ordering replacement media will only give me a cdrom that basically has trial version.  They have no way of resending me the product key I bought that the computer now needs for activation, or I need to get a new product key.

I've gotten myself stuck in a catch22 and this is my fault because I can't track down the product key I bought, but for the future, you might counsel your support staff to have a clearer support channel and not require that I had to first pay for then ask for a refund of a professional support incident.

Friday, October 5, 2007 9:11 PM
  • There's a possibility that I may be able to recover the product key by rebooting via the iso and rolling back to a time before when the OS saw that it was activated.

If that doesn't work, I'm stuck though.

Friday, October 5, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Hi Susan,

This is strange, since you entered the new Product Key (that you got thru the anytime upgrade) into Vista already, the Activate by Phone should have worked.  Well, now that I know that one of the options is the 'use Vista with reduced functionality', I can give you a way to run the MGADiag tool that will provide provide part of the Product key, which in turn, will tell me if that product key is the default one or the one you bought.

Would you:

1) Click the 'use Vista with reduced functionality' option.  (a browser will launch)

2) Go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 and download MGADiag.exe to a folder of your choice

3) Next type C:\  into the browser address field and then navigate to where you downloaded the MGADiag.exe file to

4) Launch MGADiag.exe

5) Click 'Continue' click the Windows tab, click the 'Copy'

6) Type http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2231972&SiteID=25 into the browser

7) Paste the report into a response message

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager
    Friday, October 5, 2007 10:03 PM
  •  

Trying another test... does your forum software do weird things like lose posts until someone posts a new post or something? 

Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:02 AM
  •  

test
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:19 AM
  •  

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0xc004f012
    Cached / Grace status: (N/A, hr = 0x80004005) / (N/A, hr = 0x80004005)
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6CDQM-RV23K-RP8F7
    Windows Product Key Hash: 7VrYSubZ86JPxkAAnCqEelHYZa4=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-014-0000025-71519
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.000
    ID: {B12B4871-EB8D-4BB2-A846-F01312FFA1DF}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: (N/A, hr = 0x80004005) / 0x0 / (N/A, hr = 0x80004005)
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.070627-1500
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:21 AM
  • I built a new version with the TechNet ISO and it appears that the product key has reverted to the original TechNetPlus key (OS built without a key) and has lost my purchased one.  I know I put it in the machine and validated it back in August.

http://blogs.technet.com/backroom/archive/2007/02/08/automate-your-vista-factory-installations.aspx

You can tell from there it's the default key.

I built this one today without a product key below:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Cached / Grace status: (N/A, hr = 0x80004005) / (N/A, hr = 0x80004005)
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6CDQM-RV23K-RP8F7
    Windows Product Key Hash: 7VrYSubZ86JPxkAAnCqEelHYZa4=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-014-0000025-71519
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001
    ID: {282D7DA2-A5DF-4081-A65D-3D57497FAEAF}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: (N/A, hr = 0x80004005) / 0x0 / (N/A, hr = 0x80004005)
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{282D7DA2-A5DF-4081-A65D-3D57497FAEAF}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RP8F7</PKey><PID>89580-014-0000025-71519</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2039639546-2910795948-816401632</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VMware, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>VMware Virtual Platform</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20061206000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>59323507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:24 AM
  • Weird.. I have to do a new post to see the threads of the old postings.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:25 AM
  •  

Unknown Error
      We apologize, but an unknown error has occurred in the forums.

This error has been logged.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:34 AM
  • Hi Susan,

Yes, the forums were acting up, but they seem stable today.

Since you revered the install back to the Technet product key, there is not much I can do.

But, when you do find the Full License key, and if you have the same kind of issue with it, as you did before, I suggest trying the below steps:

(If you access to the start button)

1) Click the Start button

2) Type cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

(If you Do Not access to the start button)

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, October 8, 2007 9:39 PM