Adding Raid 5 to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I stalled WHS on a 1TB HDD the has the OS on C: and Data on D:.  I attached a TR8M TowerRaid to the server with 3 1.5TB drives configured as RAID 5.  (I will be adding 3 more once I transfer the files over).  How can I get the Shared Folders to point to the RAID drives instead of the main drive for Backup/Redundancy purposes?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:18 PM

Answers

• Just to close this discussion, the final resolution that I did was to take each individual drive out of the external TowerRaid and connect them internally to the PC, Rebooted, then Disk Manager recognized them to setup and format.

Thanks to all who assisted and posted to this question.
    • Marked as answer by BFry24 Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:31 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:31 PM

All replies

• I stalled WHS on a 1TB HDD the has the OS on C: and Data on D:.  I attached a TR8M TowerRaid to the server with 3 1.5TB drives configured as RAID 5.  (I will be adding 3 more once I transfer the files over).  How can I get the Shared Folders to point to the RAID drives instead of the main drive for Backup/Redundancy purposes?
    You can't. RAID is a technology that Windows Home Server doesn't support. In general, it's possible to install and use Windows Home server in a system with RAID array(s), but there are serious trade-offs. The best option is generally to break your array and give the drives to Windows Home Server individually. Windows Home Server will manage the drives, including duplication of files in shares flagged for duplication, itself.

An (unsupported) alternative is to install RAID drivers yourself, then configure your RAID array so that Windows Home Server can make use of it and give the volume(s) you've created to WHS for use in the storage pool. In your case, that will require creating multiple volumes, each less than 2 TB in size, because Windows Home Server uses MBR style partition tables (which have a limit of 2 TB). However, installing and using RAID will significantly complicate server recovery scenarios, such as e.g. an OS corruption issue. You will need to supply your drivers at the correct times during setup, and you may need to supply them on a floppy disk. So breaking your array is a better option.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:03 PM
  • But what happens if a drive fails?  Do I lose the data?

Basically, I have a Media Center PC that has 3 drives in it that store all my movies.  I want to move them to WHS, but have redundancy incase a drive fails.  I also want tobe able to backup attached PC's (one just crashed before I could get this setup).  If I break the array and give them to WHS, don't I lose the redundancy?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:13 PM
  • But what happens if a drive fails?  Do I lose the data?

Basically, I have a Media Center PC that has 3 drives in it that store all my movies.  I want to move them to WHS, but have redundancy incase a drive fails.  I also want tobe able to backup attached PC's (one just crashed before I could get this setup).  If I break the array and give them to WHS, don't I lose the redundancy?
    If you have Folder Duplication enabled for all of your shares, you shouldn't lose any data that is stored on share should a single hard drive fail.  Note however that the backup database is not duplicated because the backup database is already a second copy (the first being your client PCs).
    Monday, October 12, 2009 11:36 PM
  • Ok, so I deleted the RAID, but now the 3 drives do not show up in Disk Management.  How do I get them back?
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Hi,
    this may depend from the controller, which is connecting the external RAID to the system. Is it able to supply multiple single disks (keyword SATA port multiplier)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:23 AM
  • Yes it can. It is a Highpoint RocketRaid 2314.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Are the drives shown in disk management of the server OS itself (outside of the WHS console)?
    If so, check if the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool helps you.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:19 PM
  • The disks are visible  in the Raid Management software but not in Disk Manager.  Even if I do a List Disk, they do not show up.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:25 PM
  • With list disk you mean in diskpart?
    Did you configure the disks as JBOD in the RAID controller?
    (And rebooted the server, have to ask.)
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Yes in Diskpart.  The disks were originaly RAID 5 Array.  Using the utility for RAID, I deleted the array that was successful, I went into Disk Management and deleted the partition.  After doing that (rebooting too) the drives no longer show up.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:15 PM
  • It seems likely that your RAID HBA is not capable of simply passing the disks through to the operating system without additional drivers. You can try installing those driver and see if the disks are visible in the Disk Management MMC snap-in (This is not the Disk Management Windows Home Server add-in). If they aren't, then you can try configuring your RAID HBA to create a JBOD volume on each disk, one per disk, and see if they show up in Disk Management then.

In any case, if you need to use drivers to have your disks (or volumes on a RAID array) visible in the first place, then you will have to resupply those drivers in the event of a server reinstallation.

For further assistance with configuring your RAID HBA and drives, you should really consult with HighPoint Technologies.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Just to close this discussion, the final resolution that I did was to take each individual drive out of the external TowerRaid and connect them internally to the PC, Rebooted, then Disk Manager recognized them to setup and format.

Thanks to all who assisted and posted to this question.
    • Marked as answer by BFry24 Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:31 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:31 PM