NO audio OUTPUT device installed RRS feed

• Question

• i recently was thinking of getting AVG which i SHOULD HAVE but i thought of reactivating my onecare account which costed me 9i9 dollars and once i activated it i suddednly come up with this message where it sais no audio output device is installed and i have been running my computer for 3 month without one car have had it for 2 years now and suddenly when i install one care it comes up with this microsoft *** me again another reason i should go to an apple. is there anythign i can do should have gone with AVG thankyou microsoft for charging me and then screwing me
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:09 PM

Answers

• OneCare should have no bearing on your audio devices or drivers. Have you rebooted the PC again after the installation? Note that activation would most certainly not be a factor, but reboot after an install can be a factor if the device did not initialize properly.

If you still have the problem after another reboot, try reinstalling the drivers for your audio device. Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware and you will probably see a yellow exclamation mark next to the Sound Devices entry or entries. Select each one and either delete them all and reboot again to let Windows detect the hardware and install the drivers, or select to update the driver from each item's listing.

If you need help and believe that OneCare is the cause of the problem, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:24 PM

All replies

• OneCare should have no bearing on your audio devices or drivers. Have you rebooted the PC again after the installation? Note that activation would most certainly not be a factor, but reboot after an install can be a factor if the device did not initialize properly.

If you still have the problem after another reboot, try reinstalling the drivers for your audio device. Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware and you will probably see a yellow exclamation mark next to the Sound Devices entry or entries. Select each one and either delete them all and reboot again to let Windows detect the hardware and install the drivers, or select to update the driver from each item's listing.

If you need help and believe that OneCare is the cause of the problem, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:24 PM
  • I'm sorry to burst your bubble Mr. Boots but you are SOOOOOOOOO wrong.  I have had the exact same problem and BTW your online support forums offer very little in the way of support.  After much googling I've figured out how to resolve the problem on my own.  I often lose my sound after installing updates from live onecare.  It has happened to me 3 times already.  BTW no there are not yellow exclamation points next to the sound devices that need to be reinstalled. 
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Would you like to share how you were able to resolve the issue so that it may help others?
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Sure.......Google "NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE" and keep sifting through the links until you find one that sounds relavent to your situation and follow the steps.  Do you work for Microsoft Jim? If so how about you just resolve the issue with your second rate softwar so that I don't have to?

Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:48 AM
  • No, I don't work for Microsoft. While I don't doubt that One Care can be contributing to this issue it most likely is limited to some very specific hardware/driver combinations or there would be more than two people reporting this issue. If you would like to resolve this issue permanently One Care support should be able to pinpoint the cause and provide a solution for you. How to reach support FAQs - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90 
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Based on the fact that you are reporting that the problem happens after updates (no, these would be Windows Updates, not OneCare updates) I agree with Jim that it is a driver issue. And, if you believe OneCare is the culprit, and that may certainly be possible, then support is the way to go. This forum is for customer to customer discussion and help with OneCare. Some probles are best handled by support, since you paid for support when you purchased OneCare.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Windows Updates.....OneCare updates.......I don't care what they are (they're all Microsoft to me).  OneCare insists that I need to install them in order for my PC to continue to function optimally and when I do as I'm told suddendly stuff that was working fine stops doing so.  I'm not a techie, I don't mess around with my PC much.  The audio devices that I use were the ones that were installed on the computer when I bought it.  An HP Pavilion is common model that comes installed with software that thousands if not millions of consumers use.  Microsoft should be aware of that when putting out these updates and anticipate these problems before they cause them. 
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:32 AM
  • It still looks like a driver/compatibility issue with the operating system or a Windows update. As such you should post to the thread you provided the link to or try to find a solution at the Microsoft Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab0  Since you pointed out that your issue was caused by a Windows Update your time would be better spent using some of the resources provided in this thread to resolve your issue.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 3:53 AM
  • What a wonderful suggestion Jim.  Have you actually tried typing "no audio output device installed" into the search feature for the site?  You get one hit and its basically for a page were you get a phone number where for the low low price of $59 you can get your own Microsoft techie to help you resolve the problem they created on your PC.  How thoughful of them. 
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:53 PM
  • While I'm sorry you are having a computer issue, we can't help you with that here.
    If you believe this issue to be caused by One Care contact support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    If you are using Vista you might find help here - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
    If you are using Windows XP you might find help here - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:13 PM