Problem backing up laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS for some time now, and now that I have RTM installed I thought I would add all the PCs to it.

The problem I have is that I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop running Win XP pro that will not wake up out of hibernation to backup.

I did a clean install of the WHS RTM software.  Also, I am able to do manual backups - the first one I did with it wired (and then removed the connection), the second one I did wireless.  Also, it is running on the charger.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:35 AM

Answers

• The problem is not with WHS, its with XP. Have you had a look at the power management on your laptop? There have been other reports on the forums of changing the power management which then solves this problem.

Andrew

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Steve,

As Andrew says, it's the Connector software installed on the Client PC which is responsible for starting/awakening your laptop. The laptop has to be connected and on mains power for it to be woken as well and it won't wake up if it's on battery power alone.

As hibernation is a black art, have you tried just leaving the laptop on StandBy? It could be work trying just as a test, to see if it will work OK then.

Colin

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:23 PM
  • I tried just putting it to sleep and that does work.

I guess hibernation just does not work.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:34 AM

All replies

• The problem is not with WHS, its with XP. Have you had a look at the power management on your laptop? There have been other reports on the forums of changing the power management which then solves this problem.

Andrew

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Steve,

As Andrew says, it's the Connector software installed on the Client PC which is responsible for starting/awakening your laptop. The laptop has to be connected and on mains power for it to be woken as well and it won't wake up if it's on battery power alone.

As hibernation is a black art, have you tried just leaving the laptop on StandBy? It could be work trying just as a test, to see if it will work OK then.

Colin

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:23 PM
  • I tried just putting it to sleep and that does work.

I guess hibernation just does not work.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:34 AM
  • au contraire...must be specific to your hardware.  my laptops (all 4 of them) wake up just fine out of hibernation.  The problem is that once they're awake, they won't go back into hibernation - analyzing net traffic seems to indicate there are server messages hitting the laptops often enough to prevent them going back to hibernation.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:33 PM
  • I had one laptop that wouldn't go back into hibernation after backing up OK. I installed a little program named TOff which will force the computer into hibernation. This it did just fine, hover after a few days, we found that the computer, (which had had absolutely no changes done to it,) suddenly decided that it would go back into hibernation itself, so I removed TOff as it was superfluous.

Colin 

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:59 PM