How do I access Ogaplugininstaller ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to download a file from a computer which has a more recent version of Windows.  I have Windows 2003. 

I got a message that I should download a "compatiblity pack"

I would first have to go to Ogaplugininstaller.exe in order to download the "compatibility pack.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:36 AM

Answers

• Mods:  Please move to the Office section of the forum

Hello Janeep,

I would guess that you have Office 2003 installed on your computer, and someone has sent you a file made by an Office program (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) from Office 2007 or 2010, and that the file is in the new format introduced in Office 2007.

Older versions of Office, for example Office 2003, cannot natively work with the new Office file format.  To address this issue, Microsoft developed a free Compatibility Pack that enables older Office version to open, edit, and save documents in the new format.

The catch is that, in order to download and install the Compatibility Pack, your installation of Office has to pass Office Genuine Advantage Validation.  One of the files used to enable in-browser validation for alternative browsers such as Firefox is the file mentioned.

To get this file, from the browser in question navigate to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on Validate Office, then follow the prompts.

Alternately, if you do not want the OGA plug-in, you can navigate to www.microsoft.com.genuine with Internet Explorer, accept the prompt to load the OGA active-x control, and then Validate using IE.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:55 PM