I can't get onecare to open on 1 of my 3 computers any more. RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop both running XP SP2, I also have another desktop running Vista Home Premium. All PCs are updated regularly, and I can't think of anything I may have changed or installed to cause my problem.

Everything else on all PCs run okay, however, on my XP SP2 desktop onecare has suddenly refused to open and is NOT visable in my Onecare Circle. When I try to open Onecare I get an error message which says "Windows Live OneCare has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have uninstalled Onecare from this PC, then reinstalled - Same problem again.

I have downloaded and run the Onecare repair tool, which starts to run, then, gives me the same error message again.

I did at one time notice that my laptop had 2 appearances in my Onecare Circle, I didn't put it in twice. I thought that by removing one of them I might get my other PC back in the Circle, but, no, I get the same error message again and again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

I now have the problem fixed with the kind help of the Microsoft Team and the use of the Microsoft Easy Assist program.

It would appear .NET framework 2.0 had not installed itself properly through my automatic updates.

I gave control over to one of the Microsoft team and he downloaded a Windows Installer Cleanup Tool, which he ran and got rid of the references to .NET framework 2.0. He then downloaded .NET framework 2.0 again and reinstalled it.

Everything seems to be working okay now.

It is apparently a known problem I’m pleased to say; otherwise it might have taken an age to fix.

Alls well that ends well.

Thanks for your input.

Les

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:11 PM

All replies

• The second instance in the hub is due to a reinstall and activation.

Try the following:

Please try the following on the PC that OneCare is not working on:

Reboot the PC. The run the Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

And also the Virus and Spyware repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2667445&SiteID=2

Reboot after the tool as completed.

If this still doesn't resolve it, please contact support for help - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Stephen,

Thank you for replying to my request for help, unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, so, I have contacted Microsoft Technical to look into my problem further.

Once again, thank you.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Sorry that this didn't help. Please let us know how it is resolved.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I now have the problem fixed with the kind help of the Microsoft Team and the use of the Microsoft Easy Assist program.

It would appear .NET framework 2.0 had not installed itself properly through my automatic updates.

I gave control over to one of the Microsoft team and he downloaded a Windows Installer Cleanup Tool, which he ran and got rid of the references to .NET framework 2.0. He then downloaded .NET framework 2.0 again and reinstalled it.

Everything seems to be working okay now.

It is apparently a known problem I’m pleased to say; otherwise it might have taken an age to fix.

Alls well that ends well.

Thanks for your input.

Les

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:11 PM
  • I'm glad to read that it was resolved and glad to see 3 smiles vs. 1 sad face.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:21 PM