How to allow a user to browse the pictures in the Media Library but not able to browse your pictures? RRS feed

• Question

• I got my Windows Home Server 2011 setup. Created a new user for myself to have read/write permission. I'm able to access my WHS from work via the web. When I'm logged onto my WHS through the web, I'm able to see Computers, Links, Shared Folders and Media Library boxes. In the Media Library box, I'm able to browse all the pictures that I put in the Pictures folder in the D drive. So far so good.

I created a new user, eg. userb, i set that user to not have access to the Pictures folder in the D drive. However, the user is still able to Browse the pictures in the Media Library box when he/she logs into WHS with userb account.

I removed the media option for userb in the Remote Web Access property and only grant the user to have read access to a UserB folder. When the user logs on, he/she can only see Computer, Links and Shared Folders boxes. The user can navigate through the folder that I gave permission too. Thats fine! The problem is, how can the user view the images without downloading it? 

When I log in with my account and browse through the pictures in the Media Library, I am able to get into a Silverlight picture viewer. I want the userb to have to same option. 

thank you.

Monday, May 9, 2011 11:45 PM

All replies

• I want to do the same!

But i also can't figure this out unfortunatly! 
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I have the same problem.

I have a feeling that there is no way to resolve this currently. Hopefully MS is looking into fixing this.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:39 PM
  • I hope so.

I want my family members around the globe to access my WHS and view the pictures in the Media Library without any of them accessing the main Library. I think if WHS allows us to create Libraries and the ability to set permission to which Library a user can have access to then it will be awesome.

Right now, I have about 9K+ images in my WHS. Of course, not 100% of them look their best, but for memory I keep them all. When I log through the web, I see them all. And if I create a user for my sister in Germany, I do not want her to see pictures that aren't their best.

Another thing is, how about allow users to add comment to the picture that is currently viewed? It's great feature to add. And please use SQL as back-end. I

already have a website that can do this, but at the moment it's not in Silverlight. I'm hosting my sites with GoDaddy. The bottle neck is with hosting with third party is, I have to resize the the images and upload them to GoDaddy. It takes too much time. And since WHS offers this feature. Why not ask for a bit more =)

Hey! If you, MS, allow open source for this Web Accessing, I will add more features myself.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:59 PM
  • I really want someone from MS or at least an MVP to answer this question. It seems as though this is a pretty big loop hole in the permissions scheme that needs attention.
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:44 PM