Is is true I can not use my license key on another pc?( building and dumping my old pc) RRS feed

• Question

• So I was going to build this cheap pc because I am on a budget of $300 and I don't know anymore since I asked on another forum bout it that it is tied to my dell pc that I am using. How can I get it off or something? The $300 is only for a new motherboard and CPU and 2 ram sticks. Not even enough to buy the new HDD or new CD/DVD drive have to use my old one from my dell PC which still supports SATA. So is there any way I can call microsoft and explain them when I get my new build to let me use the old pc license key since I am throwing it away so that will make it one PC use. I can't shell out $99 for windows 7 home premium.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:29 PM

Answers

• From your description it sounds like your windows was preinstalled which is an OEM license. An OEM license lives and dies on the first computer it was installed on and can not be transferred. 
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:42 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• From your description it sounds like your windows was preinstalled which is an OEM license. An OEM license lives and dies on the first computer it was installed on and can not be transferred. 
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:42 PM
    Answerer
  • So even if I called microsoft telling that I am going to throw away that dell pc I still can't use the license? 
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:22 PM
  • that is correct. Read your End User License Agreement that you agreed to when you first started your computer.
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 8GB ram.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:40 AM
    Answerer