locked
Should I be worried about this? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Go to the logging tab under change settings and create the log. In the report that opens, check to see where the threat has been detected.

    -steve

     

    Hi,

    When I do a quick scan nothing shows up when I did a full scan this morning I found there was a TroJanDownloader:Win32/openStream.C

    TroJanDownloaderJava/openconnection.P

     

    Just a vew examples

    I did what Onecare ask but it keeps coming back

     

    When I look at the create the log I found nothing there should I be worried about this?

     

       

    27/03/2008 12:23
    Virus and spyware scan was completed
    Scanned Items: C:\
    Scan Type: Complete Scan
    Scan StartTime: 27/03/2008 11:26
    Scan EndTime: 27/03/2008 12:23
    Total Number of Files Scanned: 428509
    Total Number of Files Not Scanned: 31
    Total Number of Threats Found: 0
    Total Number of Threats Cleaned: 0
    Total Number of Threats Removed: 0
    Total Number of Threats Quarantined: 0
    Total Number of Threats Still Present But Suspended: 0

     

    Hope I have made sense

    Martin

     

    Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:20 PM

Answers

  • I can't tell you why it keeps coming back, but sometimes this malware resides in your system restore points or other protected files. Wherever the malware is, it is apparently reappearing after being removed by OneCare - or it is coming to your PC from another source, perhaps when visiting a web site. In any event, since it keeps coming back and you are unable to determine from the logs where it is coming from, I recommend that you contact support:

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

    -steve

    Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:03 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • If OneCare detected and removed a threat or threats, then the full scan comes up clean, I believe that all is well. If you scroll further into the log, there may be an entry that shows the threats that were removed.

    The two items you listed sound like they may have been encountered in a web page, so in your Temporary Internet Files. Did you receive a popup while browsing or doing something else indicating that OneCare detected a threat and removed/cleaned/quarantined it?

     

    -steve
    Friday, March 28, 2008 1:12 AM
    Moderator
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

    If OneCare detected and removed a threat or threats, then the full scan comes up clean, I believe that all is well. If you scroll further into the log, there may be an entry that shows the threats that were removed.

    The two items you listed sound like they may have been encountered in a web page, so in your Temporary Internet Files. Did you receive a popup while browsing or doing something else indicating that OneCare detected a threat and removed/cleaned/quarantined it?

     

    -steve

     

    Hi Steve,

    I look at the Support Log & found nothing. Not sure about the Temporary Internet Files?  As far as I'm aware that I did not get a popup while browsing I have the IE7 popup blocker switch on.

    Thanks

    Martin  

    Friday, March 28, 2008 9:24 AM
  • I meant that OneCare popped up to tell you it found and took care of a virus while you were visiting a web site. I guess the question is, where did you get the information about the malware you listed? When did OneCare tell you about them relative to when you ran the quick scan and/or complete scans where nothing was found?

    -steve

     

    Friday, March 28, 2008 3:04 PM
    Moderator
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

    I meant that OneCare popped up to tell you it found and took care of a virus while you were visiting a web site. I guess the question is, where did you get the information about the malware you listed? When did OneCare tell you about them relative to when you ran the quick scan and/or complete scans where nothing was found?

    -steve

     

     

     

     

    It was onecare detected the virus. When you do a quick scan nothing appears but when you do a full scan then the virus shows up. 

    Martin

    Friday, March 28, 2008 4:56 PM
  • And, what does OneCare say when it detects the malware? Does it say, Quarantine Failed?

    -steve

     

    Friday, March 28, 2008 5:07 PM
    Moderator
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

    And, what does OneCare say when it detects the malware? Does it say, Quarantine Failed?

    -steve

     

     

    "your action was successfully carried out" but look in the Quarantine nothing showed up.

    Cheers

    Martin

     

     

     

     

    Friday, March 28, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Quarantine is only for files that can't be cleaned. In your case, the malware was successfully removed, so no quarantine is involved.

    -steve

     

    Saturday, March 29, 2008 1:52 AM
    Moderator
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

    Quarantine is only for files that can't be cleaned. In your case, the malware was successfully removed, so no quarantine is involved.

    -steve

     

     

    Why does it still show up after doing a long scan?  Anyway looks like I'm safe.

    Thanks 

    Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:56 PM
  • I can't tell you why it keeps coming back, but sometimes this malware resides in your system restore points or other protected files. Wherever the malware is, it is apparently reappearing after being removed by OneCare - or it is coming to your PC from another source, perhaps when visiting a web site. In any event, since it keeps coming back and you are unable to determine from the logs where it is coming from, I recommend that you contact support:

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

    -steve

    Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:03 PM
    Moderator
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

    I can't tell you why it keeps coming back, but sometimes this malware resides in your system restore points or other protected files. Wherever the malware is, it is apparently reappearing after being removed by OneCare - or it is coming to your PC from another source, perhaps when visiting a web site. In any event, since it keeps coming back and you are unable to determine from the logs where it is coming from, I recommend that you contact support:

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

    -steve

     

    Ok Thanks Steve,

    Martin

    Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:40 PM