Password protect media sharing? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible somehow to protect a video share with a password or pin code or similar? We recently got a Xbox 360 which happily streams movies from the WHS box. Problem is that not all videos are suitable for small children. So I'd hope to setup two video shares. One open with cartoons and other child safe videos and one protected for the rest.

I cannot find a way to do this via Media Connect, but perhaps there are other Xbox 360 compatible solutions out where for the WHS server? Now I re-configure (enable/disable sharing of the grown-up share) via the WHS console when I want to see a movie, but it would be great if it was possible to make this process a bit easier.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:09 PM

Answers

• The problem you're experiencing is, I think, on the Xbox side. If you're reading from several shares with your Xbox, you're not streaming from your server per se. (I say this because Windows Media Connect on Windows Home Server is configured to stream from three shares, and only those three shares, and that can't be changed.) Your Xbox is reading the file directly from the share; Windows Home Server just serves up the file.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Windows Media Connect 2.0 may not be able to (probably isn't able to) deliver ratings.

As for other tools, some users like SageTV, while others seem to like My Movies. There are other media streaming tools that you could run on your server as well...

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:59 PM

All replies

• The problem you're experiencing is, I think, on the Xbox side. If you're reading from several shares with your Xbox, you're not streaming from your server per se. (I say this because Windows Media Connect on Windows Home Server is configured to stream from three shares, and only those three shares, and that can't be changed.) Your Xbox is reading the file directly from the share; Windows Home Server just serves up the file.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Ok, I cheated. I remote desktop'ed to the server and ran the Media Connect configuration tool (WMCCFG.exe) from C:\Program Files\Media Connect\. It lets me add, edit and remove share beyond the three added by the WHS add-in. Still there is no way of protecting single shares.

On the Xbox side I can enable family content protection (or what ever it was called). It can stop any "non rated" movie. The problem now is how can I "rate" the cartoon avi's as safe? I'll probably have to ask on some xbox forum for that.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Windows Media Connect 2.0 may not be able to (probably isn't able to) deliver ratings.

As for other tools, some users like SageTV, while others seem to like My Movies. There are other media streaming tools that you could run on your server as well...

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:59 PM