File transfers are painfully slow RRS feed

• Question

• I'm copying files from my PC to WHS and it's taking forever (500Kb/sec tops).  It took 7 hours to copy 10 gigs.  Is that normal?  The nic is Realtek 10/100 and is on the MB - it was very fast as a PC.  Could this be a hard drive issue or should I buy a new nic?  Is there a way to determine what's causing the problem before I buy anything?

from task manager:

Processor - 0% to 3% with a few spikes

Ram - 25% used

Network - 1% used

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:45 PM

Answers

•  B (1263) wrote:
    I suspected a driver issue but everything in Device Manager looked ok.  I installed the latest manufacturer driver to see if it would help but it didn't make any difference - and it didn't have Server 2003 listed as an option.

Unless someone knows specifically what the issue is I'll buy a new nic.  They don't cost much and I'd prefer gigabit speed anyway - assuming it fixes the issue.  I don't have PP1 and generally don't try beta products but it might be worth a try if the nic isn't the problem.

I'm open to any suggestions that won't take too much time.

If it was me, I'd try a new NIC (that has 2003 drivers) first.  (I'm with you in regards to installing anything beta on my live production server.)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Fixed - I took the path of least resistance and bought a $10 nic that came with Windows Server 2003 drivers.  The transfer time went from 7 hours to 10 minutes! 

In summary, the mainboard's Realtek RTL8139 network card was not compatible with WHS even though the server appeared to provide the proper drivers.  Trendnet's gigabit card (teg-pcitxr) works great - especially considering it only costs $10.

Thanks everyone.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:15 AM

All replies

•  B (1263) wrote:
    I'm copying files from my PC to WHS and it's taking forever (500Kb/sec tops).  It took 7 hours to copy 10 gigs.  Is that normal?

The speeds in WHS RTM can be slow at times (although usually not that slow).

B (1263) wrote:
    The nic is Realtek 10/100 and is on the MB - it was very fast as a PC.  Could this be a hard drive issue or should I buy a new nic?

Could be a driver issue.  It really should be for Server 2003 (although sometimes XP drivers will work also).  What driver do you have installed?

B (1263) wrote:
    Is there a way to determine what's causing the problem before I buy anything?

from task manager:

Processor - 0% to 3% with a few spikes

Ram - 25% used

Network - 1% used

PP1 (which is in beta at the moment and can be downloaded from Connect) has shown an increase in upload speeds to WHS.  You could try that as well.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:53 PM
  • I suspected a driver issue but everything in Device Manager looked ok.  I installed the latest manufacturer driver to see if it would help but it didn't make any difference - and it didn't have Server 2003 listed as an option.

Unless someone knows specifically what the issue is I'll buy a new nic.  They don't cost much and I'd prefer gigabit speed anyway - assuming it fixes the issue.  I don't have PP1 and generally don't try beta products but it might be worth a try if the nic isn't the problem.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:11 PM
  •  B (1263) wrote:
    I suspected a driver issue but everything in Device Manager looked ok.  I installed the latest manufacturer driver to see if it would help but it didn't make any difference - and it didn't have Server 2003 listed as an option.

If it was me, I'd try a new NIC (that has 2003 drivers) first.  (I'm with you in regards to installing anything beta on my live production server.)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:15 PM
  • If you know the actuall IP address of the server then you might want to try connecting to it that way instead of the 'regular' server name. Server name resolution can often make data travel through weird paths if your router or hubs are configured strangely.

So if your WHS server is at IP address 192.168.1.14, and your share is called 'Data', you would connect to \\192.168.1.14\Data

It's worth a try... might not solve anything, but it has for me before in other slow network situations.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:18 PM
  • That didn't work but I appreaciate the idea.  Same speed as before - 515Kb/sec.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Perchance are you running Vista? Slow data transfers were common prior to Vista SP1.

Another shot in the dark, but remote troubleshooting is like this.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:29 PM
  • I am running Vista but with SP1.  Also, I have 3 PCs - 2 Vista, 1 XP.  PC to PC is lightning fast.  PC to WHS is slow - doesn't seem to matter which PC the files come from.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Hmmm... what I would try next if I were there would be a 'direct connect' with a crossover cable between a PC and the WHS. You really don't have to do anything but swap the cable between the two machines (without even turning them off), as long as there is no router between them (I am guessing that they are on he same network segment). They should both have the same everything for their IP addresses except for the last number. This test would elimnate everything between the NICs, eliminating network issues. But odds are you don't have a crossover cable.

You could also try booting into a CD-Only version of Linux, such as UBUNTU and copy some files back and forth. But this is risky if you copy files to the wrong place on the WHS system. It would elimnate the NIC as a cause if the speed is good under Linux but bad under WHS.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Fixed - I took the path of least resistance and bought a $10 nic that came with Windows Server 2003 drivers.  The transfer time went from 7 hours to 10 minutes! 

In summary, the mainboard's Realtek RTL8139 network card was not compatible with WHS even though the server appeared to provide the proper drivers.  Trendnet's gigabit card (teg-pcitxr) works great - especially considering it only costs $10.

Thanks everyone.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:15 AM