Internal plus limted external CRM access RRS feed

• Question

• This is one of those: "I'm not sure what to ask" kind of questions. I suspect that once the question is phrased properly, the answer will be aparent.

We have CRM 4.0 running on our internal network, but we want to be able to make certain Knowledge Base articles accessable to public internet users.

-Do we create a new security role for the public users and give them read access only to the Service Area and only certain Knowledge Base subjects? Then, link to the internal CRM from our public internet?
    -Can Knowledge Base articles be published to our website?
    -What should I be asking?

I have been doing a bunch of reading to come up with a solution, but without a proper question, I don't think I will find what I need. I'm not looking for answers so much as I am looking for the right question.

Elytron
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Elytron,

Here's some answers to your question.

- Do we create a new security role for the public users and give them read access only to the Service Area and only certain Knowledge Base subjects? Then, link to the internal CRM from our public internet?

No, you can't just create a new security role for the public users. Every user need a license to access CRM. If you would like to expose your KB to the public, you need to look into the CRM external connector license.

-Can Knowledge Base articles be published to our website?

Yes, you may publish KB articles to your web site, I would recommend that you retrieved the KB via the CRM web service from your custom website. Again, you will need the external connector license if your internal users does not have a CRM access license.

-What should I be asking?

I think you should ask what can you do to expose the KB articles to the public. How to integrate CRM KB articles into your internal portal.

I hope this helps.
    Darren Liu | 刘嘉鸿 | MS CRM MVP | English Blog: http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com | Chinese Blog: http://liudarren.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:09 AM