WHS machine freezes on certain types of use becoming unusable RRS feed

• Question

• After using WHS (on a tranquil pc t2) for a few weeks - being generally happy with it - all of a sudden I started experiencing long pauses and completely unresponsive moments from the WHS - everything from remote access, media streaming, shared folders, and even locally on the WHS machine the whole UI would pretty much freeze for a few minutes.

I figured I'd have a quick glance at perfmon and noticed completely erratic behaviour from the standard settings: memory and cpu would be pretty much 0 activity wise, but the entry that says "Avg. Disk Queue length" was doing a very regular zig-zag pattern, with maximum going all the way up to 300 (whatever that means, but considering during normal operations it hangs around 3 I'm sure it's not a good thing)

So I checked out process monitor (from sysinternals) and I noticed 2 processes being extremely active during this behavior, namely svchost, with the following parameters:
    svchost.exe –k netsvcs

svchost.exe –k rpcss

and the lsass process, all 3 doing registry related operations.

From what I understand all of these have something to do with network security?

What I’ve found out further is that if I leave the machine alone it won’t misbehave – it starts doing this (but not always) when I log on from the remote website, and I'm still trying to see if it happens on other types of interaction.

As for context, I am on a home network with 2 W7 machines and a win XP machine – all of these behave fine (as did the WHS machine up until a few days ago!) – and I haven’t changed a thing! The WHS machine has PP3 and the latest updates.

After this I reinstalled WHS - thinking I may still have done something to screw the install (why the ____ is there no restore system for WHS itself! like any other consumer version of windows!) The problem is still there so the only things I can think of is either a windows update that broke it or something to do with my network?

If anyone has any ideas I’d be seriously grateful as right now my WHS machine is near unusable (and a reinstall doesn’t fix it!!)

Regards,

Elco

Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:53 PM

All replies

• Have you contacted the OEM for support?

As for why there's no restore for Windows Home Server itself, as far as the end user is concerned, it's much closer to an embedded operating system than it is to a desktop operating system. Though under the hood it's still Windows Server 2003, as you know...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:24 PM
  • It took me almost 2 months to get a replacement HDD from tranquil, on which I still had to re-install the OS myself, so I'm not really counting on them for answers.

Does a reinstall use any information from the previous install? If so the thing that causes this may have been inherited - I might just use another HDD for a clean install of the OS, see if that fixes it :(

Cheers,
    Elco

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:46 PM
  • A reinstallation will wipe the system partition (C:) and reinstall the OS, then it will reintegrate everything that was in the storage pool. If the system disk is replaced, reintegration takes a long time, as the "tombstones" need to be rebuilt.

I would look for errors in the server's event logs, check to see if any of your disks are running in PIO mode, run chkdsk on all the drives in your server, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:43 PM