Trying to Restore Computer from WHS 2011 Backups RRS feed

• Question

• When I boot from the restore CD, the computer cannot find the server.  I'm trying to restore a computer running windows 7 64 bit.  I just recently moved to WHS2011 from the original WHS.  This is the first time I've tried restoring using WHS2011.  Never had a problem with the older version of WHS.

It detects my network card but cannot find the server, automatically or manually.  The server name is correct, don't see an option to enter an IP address to see if it can find it that way.  Any ideas.

James

Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:31 AM

Answers

• So you can boot from the USB recovery stick, see the Server and start the recovery? What happens then?

Is it data you are trying to recover or a full PC installation? If the former, you can do that with another PC to copy the data to that computer and then you could reinstall W7 on the computer with the problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:01 PM spelling
    • Marked as answer by JamesDel Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JamesDel Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by JamesDel Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:49 AM
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:27 PM
  • I was trying to do a full PC reinstallation.  I think one issue may have been that the SSD was formated with two partions, (FAT 32 and NTFS).  I think this may have been causing the recover to fail.  Don't believe the FAT 32 gets backed up.  Anyway I finally gave up and copied the image of the hard drive I was using before I installed the SSD to the SSD.  I maybe lost 4 months of email on this computer but think I have copies on another PC.

This has been a learning experience with WHS 2011 vs what I have done in the past with WHS v1.  Hopefully I won't have these issues next time should I need to do this again.  Still don't know why it didn't work using the CD but as long as it will work using a bootable USB drive, it's not a problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.

James

• Marked as answer by JamesDel Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:48 AM
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:47 AM

All replies

• You need to install 32-bit drivers for your network card as the recovery environment is 32-bit even though you are restoring a 64-bit machine.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:19 AM
  • I agree that it seems like it should be a network driver issue.  I've tried installing drivers for the Realtek adapter and a Intel adapter and neither works.  The lights light on the network adapters and flash when it is scanning manual mode, but still does not connect.  These adapters work fine in win 7 when accessing the server but won't with the Restore CD.  I tried to find an ISO download for the Restore CD. Thought mine might be bad even tho it has never been used, but apparently that is not available. 

If I ever get this work so I can restore this drive, I'm tempted to go back to WHS v1.   It worked flawlessly.  The only reason I changed to WHS 2011 was when the drive with WHS v1 system died and I knew I would have to rebuild everything.

Any other suggestions.

James

Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:59 PM
  • You don't need a new restore CD! In the Dashboard, Computers & Backup, Computers & Backup Tasks, Additional client computer tasks, Tools you can create a bootable USB drive which should use the latest version of the recovery environment.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Did you use the USB method for getting the drivers for restore?

I have done it this way many times and it finds the drivers.
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Yes, I created a driver backup on USB drive and it loaded the drivers but still cannot see the server.

James

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:30 PM
  • I have created a bootable USB drive using instructions in Dashboard but it will not boot on my computer.  In the bios on this Asus motherboard, I have it set to boot from removeable media, which is the only option I have other CD/DVD drive or hard drive.  Is this not how it is done?

James

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:36 PM
  • This isn�??t meant to boot the computer it is part of the restore process. When you go through the restore process it will get to a point where it can�??t find the network. At that point there are instructions to insert the USB Drive and have the system look at the USB drive for the drivers
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Don,

I took the bootable USB drive to mean what Phil was talking about above.  I did what you recommended.  It loaded the drivers but doesn't seem to be the problem. 

After I made the USB bootable drive that Phil was talking about, I can now boot from the USB drive instead of using the CD.  Looks like there may be a problem with some of the data in the bckups. It doesn't finish the copy correctly.  Looks like may ndulosing all the data after all.

Still don't know why using the CD doesn't work, but the USB bootable drive atleast lets me get to the server. 

James

Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:31 PM
  • So you can boot from the USB recovery stick, see the Server and start the recovery? What happens then?

Is it data you are trying to recover or a full PC installation? If the former, you can do that with another PC to copy the data to that computer and then you could reinstall W7 on the computer with the problem.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:01 PM spelling
    • Marked as answer by JamesDel Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JamesDel Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by JamesDel Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:49 AM
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:27 PM
  • I was trying to do a full PC reinstallation.  I think one issue may have been that the SSD was formated with two partions, (FAT 32 and NTFS).  I think this may have been causing the recover to fail.  Don't believe the FAT 32 gets backed up.  Anyway I finally gave up and copied the image of the hard drive I was using before I installed the SSD to the SSD.  I maybe lost 4 months of email on this computer but think I have copies on another PC.

This has been a learning experience with WHS 2011 vs what I have done in the past with WHS v1.  Hopefully I won't have these issues next time should I need to do this again.  Still don't know why it didn't work using the CD but as long as it will work using a bootable USB drive, it's not a problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.

James

• Marked as answer by JamesDel Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:48 AM
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:47 AM