Non-Administrator Client Computers Cannot Connect To Windows Home Server Using Individually Designated Passwords. Only Administrator Password Is Working. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a fully updated 30-day trial version of windows home server edition. I cannot log onto my wifes computer (client computer) using a password other than mine (administrators). Again, the computer I am having trouble with belongs to my wife. My other notebook computers are fine; however, they all use my name (same login info as server) to login. Although her computer originally showed my name as the login, I changed it to show her name as well as provided her with a unique password. I accurately transcribed the same login information to the server computer, provided her with login priveleges, and also gave her access to the folders. Unfortunately, everytime I try to log her in, it says the user password is different than the one stored on the server. Then I enter my password and it allows me to login, but under my account. I dont want her to use this because she cannot access her individual folders on the server using my password. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the client software on her computer. It still does not work. Then, I right clicked on my computer (on my wifes machine) and went to manage user accounts and noticed that her account still showed my login name but had her name listed under properties (not sure why this happend). I then changed the information (on her machine) to show the correct login name (her name) even though her name was already showing correctly on windows login page. After changing all of this info, she still cannot login using her password. I have not tried re-installing since I changed my user name under the manage accounts feature. I did not know if this would make a difference. I am getting very frustrated. I contacted microsoft support and they will not help me since I am using a trial edition. They informed me to post a question online. If I cannot get this to work I cannot justify purchasing the software. Please advise. Thank you for your time and assistance.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:38 PM

All replies

• From WHS Console.

1.  Under Computers and Backups tab, remove her computer.
    2.  From User Accounts, click on her name and then select remove.

From the Client (Your Wife's) machine.

1.  Uninstall the Connector Software.
    2.  Reboot.

From WHS Console (after a reboot of WHS)

1.  From User Accounts, Add your wife back being careful to use the same logon name and password that is on her computer.
    2.  With your wife's account selected, click on properties/shared folder access and then give the appropriate permissions for the folders.

From the Client (Your Wife's) machine

1.  Install the Connector Software.

All should now work correctly.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I am using a fully updated 30-day trial version of windows home server edition. I cannot log onto my wifes computer (client computer) using a password other than mine (administrators). Again, the computer I am having trouble with belongs to my wife. My other notebook computers are fine; however, they all use my name (same login info as server) to login. Although her computer originally showed my name as the login, I changed it to show her name as well as provided her with a unique password. I accurately transcribed the same login information to the server computer, provided her with login priveleges, and also gave her access to the folders. Unfortunately, everytime I try to log her in, it says the user password is different than the one stored on the server. Then I enter my password and it allows me to login, but under my account. I dont want her to use this because she cannot access her individual folders on the server using my password. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the client software on her computer. It still does not work. Then, I right clicked on my computer (on my wifes machine) and went to manage user accounts and noticed that her account still showed my login name but had her name listed under properties (not sure why this happend). I then changed the information (on her machine) to show the correct login name (her name) even though her name was already showing correctly on windows login page. After changing all of this info, she still cannot login using her password. I have not tried re-installing since I changed my user name under the manage accounts feature. I did not know if this would make a difference. I am getting very frustrated. I contacted microsoft support and they will not help me since I am using a trial edition. They informed me to post a question online. If I cannot get this to work I cannot justify purchasing the software. Please advise. Thank you for your time and assistance.

BullDawg
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:26 AM