WHS 2011 hosting Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• I realize that it is most likely not supported, but has anyone successfully added the Hyper-V role to a WHS 2011 server? (i.e. not running WHS in a Hyper-V container, but running WHS 2011 (Server 2008 R2) with Hyper-V services to host other virtual machines).   If anyone has, any tips or things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance ... 

Steve
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:06 PM

Answers

•  Hyper-V guest support  is a supported deployment.  However, as Ken says Hyper-V host role is disabled on WHS.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:19 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:47 PM

All replies

• It is, as far as I know, not possible to add the hyper-v role to your server. Microsoft has disabled this. Windows Home Server 2011 can be run as a hyper-v guest, though it isn't a supported configuration.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:10 PM
  • I had the WHS 2011 run as a a Hyper-V guest and it was working fine.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Windows Home Server 2011 can be run as a hyper-v guest, though it isn't a supported configuration.

Yes, it is supported  !

During the beta I asked the question on connect and the support told me that they support WHS running under Hyper-V.

But it's not tha topic here :p

Monday, July 4, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Mmm, more likely they were speaking of Aurora, i.e. SBS Essentials. Though virtualization is, in general, a bad plan for other than testing, at least in the very small business or the home, so I wouldn't use it for SBS-E either.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:37 PM
  • No No, It was clear that we talked about VAIL, not other version.

You can see that here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/593738/issue-with-home-groups-settings-in-dashboard

Publié par Microsoft le 10/09/2010 à 09:33
    Hello,

Thanks for your quick responses. I will do some more investigations and get back to you about this.Running Vail as a guess in Hyper-v is a supported scenario

Thanks,
    Deon

"Though virtualization is, in general, a bad plan for other than testing"

Hum, virtualization is also a good way to share hardware ressources between multiples OS.
    I run 3 OS on my single server @ home:
    WHS2011
    Win7 Intégral (for testing purpose, RDP managment , etc)
    Linux Debian R5

;) 

And desspite the limitation of Hyper-V (no USB device supporte except for the HDD) I'll not go back to a stock installation. It's to usefull (being able to install, reboot, and totally manage my server from anywere in the world is fantastic)
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:56 PM
  •  Hyper-V guest support  is a supported deployment.  However, as Ken says Hyper-V host role is disabled on WHS.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:19 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:47 PM
  • things to watch out for?

I've read that WHS 2011 only supports 8 GB RAM, so using it as a virtual host could be iffy anyway. 
    qts
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Not 100% relevant to your question... but I'm running VMWare Server on my 2011 box, and it works great.  It is limited to 8GB of memory, but I only needed a small Linux web server and a place to keep running Windows XP, and this worked out well.

BTW, you can get a free version of the VMWare Server software by simply going to their site.  It's limited on number of CPUs and a number of other things that the enterprise version has, but nothing that's a show stopper.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:10 PM