Why couldn't Microsoft have OneCare ready for Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Why couldn't Microsoft have OneCare ready for Windows 7? It's not like it's a different company!! Unbelievably poor planing
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello pletz, One Care will only be available for purchase until June 30, 2009 so rewriting One Care to work with an operating system that won't be available until after that date wouldn't be practical. See the details in this announcement - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ebe7e8de-c7a2-41c7-9072-24d3a2bc04ec
    Jim
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:40 PM
  • It's understandable that MS didn't make changes to OneCare for Windows 7, since the product will soon be eliminated. Nevertheless, OneCare is not flagged as an incompatible program by the built-in compatibility test during the Windows 7 upgrade process.

It's also interesting to note that the Windows 7 "Action Center" does not flag any problems with OneCare. In fact, the Action Center says "OneCare reports that it is up to date and virus scanning in on." The firewall and spyware protection also report they are operating. Of course, I suspected there might be a problem, which is how I ended up on this site.

I realize that the OneCare team is not responsible for the OS, but it would be good if the Windows 7 installation program included the warning about OneCare (as it does about many other programs). If you guys ever talk to one another, it would be great if you could send them a note.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:20 AM
  • The forum moderators here don't work for Microsoft - we're fellow customers. I would suggest sending feedback from Windows 7 using the desktop link.
    I'm moving this thread over to the General forum topic folder.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:07 PM