Exception during preview : The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes RRS feed

• Question

• SyncToy 2.0 / Windows XP

i get the error message "Exception during preview : The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes"
    The error occurs every time on the last folder in F:\foto\

example : there are x-number of folders in F:\Foto, all of them named like F:\Foto\2009_06_06 , F:\Foto\2009_07_15
    If F:\Foto\2009_10_20 is the last folder in F:\Foto then it is on this folder that the error happens.
    Even if i create a (empty) folder like F:\Foto\ZZZ, it is on F:\Foto\ZZZ that SyncToy report the error...

Any idea's ?

edit : i see a lot of strange files and folders in O:\Backup met SyncToy\Foto\  and i can't delete them ....

From the log :
    SYNC: 10/22/2009 18:10:43:625: Started scanning directory : F:\Foto\
    SYNC: 10/22/2009 18:10:43:640: Started scanning directory : O:\Backup met SyncToy\Foto\
    SYNC: 10/22/2009 18:10:44:609: Stopped scanning directory : F:\Foto\
    SYNC: 10/22/2009 18:10:44:625: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.

Server stack trace:
       bij Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.Interop.FileSyncProviderClass.DetectChanges()
       bij Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()
       bij SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChangesOnProvider(FileSyncProvider syncProvider, String replicaRootPath)
       bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       bij SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChanges.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       bij SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       bij SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       bij SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 10/22/2009 18:10:44:625: *** Exception during preview: The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:23 PM

Answers

• Finally I found the problem. There was some files with "illicit" characters in thier names (" in fact). Unfortunately SyncToy's logs don't say too much. I detected the problem when I try to sync using other sofware (Syncback, BTW a good alternative to SyncToy).

• Proposed as answer by Enrique S. _ Friday, November 27, 2009 2:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:10 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Thanks for Enrique found out the issue.

Suggest upgrade to SyncToy 2.1, there is a new feature - Improved Robustness: Much more resilient to transient network and file system errors and better error reporting which pin-points which file the sync failed on in case there’s a fatal error that stops the sync.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:47 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem. I have recreated the folder pair (with an empty folder on the right) and even reinstalled SyncToy 2.0 but the problem persists.

I can't trace to a folder or file causing the problem. I tried removing the folder showed in the status bar when synctoy stops, but it just stopped in another folder.

Here is my log:

SYNC: 10/27/2009 16:16:57:174: Started scanning directory : C:\Users\Enrique\Documents\
    SYNC: 10/27/2009 16:16:57:174: Started scanning directory : D:\Notebook\
    SYNC: 10/27/2009 16:16:57:345: Stopped scanning directory : D:\Notebook\
    SYNC: 10/27/2009 16:16:58:656: *** Exception during preview: {0} : 
     System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.

Server stack trace: 
       en Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.Interop.FileSyncProviderClass.DetectChanges()
       en Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()
       en SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChangesOnProvider(FileSyncProvider syncProvider, String replicaRootPath)
       en System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       en System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       en System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       en System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       en SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChanges.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       en SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       en SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 10/27/2009 16:16:58:656: *** Exception during preview: The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Finally I found the problem. There was some files with "illicit" characters in thier names (" in fact). Unfortunately SyncToy's logs don't say too much. I detected the problem when I try to sync using other sofware (Syncback, BTW a good alternative to SyncToy).

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Thanks for Enrique found out the issue.

Suggest upgrade to SyncToy 2.1, there is a new feature - Improved Robustness: Much more resilient to transient network and file system errors and better error reporting which pin-points which file the sync failed on in case there’s a fatal error that stops the sync.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:47 AM

HI Enrique,

I have tried, The file named single quote ( ‘’ ) worked fine with synctoy 2.1 on my machine, are there any other issues caused this?

Could you pls take a look on your files, and give me more informs about illicit characters files name.

Thanks.
    Joey Liang
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:11 AM
  • I had the problem and believe I have resolved it.

I used SyncToy for some time and it worked great. I then created a HomeGroup in my home network but had omitted to select the Documents sharing option on both of my PC's. I went back and selected to share Documents on both PC's and now SyncToy works perfectly again.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:58 PM