external back-up RRS feed

• Question

• I just hooked up an eSATA external hardrive and was trying to get one-care to recognize it as a back-up location. All the program seems to recognize is the dvd burner, and when I highlight the drive in browse it says it's an invalid drive path. How do I set up this drive for back-up?

Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:45 PM

Answers

• One Care does not support backup to e-sata yet.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:20 PM

All replies

• One Care does not support backup to e-sata yet.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:20 PM
  • To clarify Jim's answer, it will not backup to eSATA if that eSATA drive apears to Windows as an Internal drive, which most eSATA drives do. You can, however, use a workaround to set up Centralized Backup in a OneCare Circle (in 2.0) using the eSATA drive as a Shared network location.

-steve

Friday, September 14, 2007 12:27 AM
  • Hi All,

I Hope i'm not just being stupid or something... but I must be missing something.

I  have a usb harddrive...

OneCare wont' back up to it????

I have it selected in my circle and everything seems a go.... but every time I try to run backup it says it can't find my "G" Drive. 

Not sure if it's an eSata Drive?... I know it USB 2.0  ST316002 1A USB Device ?????

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Op

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:05 PM
  • OneCare will work with an external USB drive. The eSATA connection type is different from USB.

Have you tried backing up to it without setting it up as Centralized Backup for a Circle?

Did this external drive come with its own backup software and is that active?

-steve

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Hey,

No extra software.... just says it can't find harddrive???

Will try tomorrow backing up without centralized backup
    Op

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Hey,

I was able to do a back up to it without setting it up as Centralized Backup for a Circle only after getting this message several times:

Runtime error!

But, again it's working now.... not sure if I rebooted???

Op

Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Glad to read it is working, Op.

-steve

Friday, September 28, 2007 1:07 AM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    One Care does not support backup to e-sata yet.

Figures I would buy the wrong one? In the near future will this be supported?

Monday, May 26, 2008 5:57 PM
  • I don't know what will be supported in the future but there are a few possible workarounds. Most e-sata drives can also be connected via usb. You can also create a shared folder on the e-sata drive which will allow you to use the drive as a backup destination. See this post for details - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2582583&SiteID=2

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:19 PM