Symantec LiveUpdate Error RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to ignore an Urgent alert and clear the status?  Since getting the last update a week ago, Live OnceCare has displayed an At Risk ststus due to Symantec LiveUpdate being installed.  However, I do not wish to uninstall LiveUpdate because it is used by my Norton Ghost backup/imaging software to get periodic updates.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry Michael

But you can't have it both ways. You can only have one active Anti-Virus/ Spyware running at a time if you want OneCare to stay green. Try disabling the LiveUpdate part of Symantec to see if that will clear it up.

chuck

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Unfortunately, it appears that the OneCare program doesn't know that LiveUpdate is not a part of a security suite, but only used for Ghost in this case. Until the OneCare team addresses this, I recommend removing LiveUpdate and checking for updates to Ghost manually. This issue has been reported and really should be addressed as LiveUpdate is not a marker for a conflicting security product. I don't think LiveUpdate should cause OneCare any problems.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:54 AM
  •  

Hy!

The solution to the problem is upgrading Symantec LiveUpdate to the newest version, at least version 3.4. A german guy wrote about the problem in his blog: http://newyear2006.wordpress.com/2007/12/11/live-onecare-20-und-norton-bzw-symantec-live-update-problem.

You can get the the 3.4 version of Liveupdate under: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/3.4/

To me it seems Microsoft only tested it against the latest versions of LiveUpdate.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Upgrading to LiveUpdate v3.4 did not resolve the problem in my installation.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:24 AM
  •  Michael Eschenburg wrote:
    Upgrading to LiveUpdate v3.4 did not resolve the problem in my installation.

Sorry to read that, Michael. You can contact support if you wish - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I'm sure there will be much more discussion on this topic if you are not alone with 3.4 not fixing it.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:44 AM
  • I temporarily uninstalled LiveUpdate and that did clear the error.  I will give MS a chance to address the issue.

I will say that I have been a longtime Symantec/Norton antivirus user and recently decided to switch because I was tired of Symantec's products making presumptions about other software installed on my computer.  The one that pushed me over the edge was when Symantec integrated anti-spyware into their antivirus product and didn't allow me to disable it without causing the status to show At Risk.

I tested Live OneCare for a couple months before making the switch, because it seemed much less intrusive, allowing me to choose which features to use.  For example, I continue to use Norton Ghost as a backup because Live OneCare's backup solution falls short of my needs. 

This latest OneCare update is a huge red flag for me.  If Microsoft is going to play the game of using security alerts to encourage me to purge all competitor's software from my computer, then I will find another vendor.  I think AVG was next on my list.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for your patience on this problem, Michael. I can't promise that it will be addressed quickly as I don't know what is involved or even why OneCare sees LiveUpdate as a problem. I do believe that it is a bug in the way the check was implemented. OneCare should warn you about conflicting software, but unless LiveUpdate is indeed a problem, it should not be flagged as a problem.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:47 PM