Computers with Vista preloaded RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

I went ahead and bought a new computer for the beta program. I figured I knew I would enjoy this so it was worth it. The machine had vista pre-loaded so when it was finished there were no useable drivers for the network card. Perhaps in the instructions you could note that machines that start with Vista probably will have network issues once the hard drive is wiped out. I did come to the forum and found a solution but those questions did not really apply to my situation. I just used their information to solve my problem. It was minor but I wanted to comment.

Friday, April 27, 2007 12:54 PM

All replies

• I am just installing WHS and having the same problem.

My Intel 82562G LAN controller driver was not loaded and is not in the list for selection to install driver.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 1:34 AM
  • Uh, any computer that has a network card that doesn't have drivers on the WHS install disc will have issues, not just because it originally had Vista on it.     
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 1:49 AM
  • Right, the best thing you can do is file a bug report or suggestion on connect.  Be sure to include a TalQ report and that will help Microsoft include as many popular NIC drivers as possible.

If you're missing the driver, and WHS doesn't find it, you'll need to locate the NIC driver's 2003 server version.  Because 2003 has a newer network stack, the XP driver probably will not work, and the Vista driver is probably not listed as 2003-compatible in the INF either.  In other words, you need the driver just for Windows 2003.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:03 AM
  • Then, you can buy a separate LAN card for the time being. My Dell thats 3 years old had this problem, so I had to install a separate card.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:33 AM