none
Trouble after upgrading CPU to AMD LE-1660 on EX-470 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a EX-470 that I'm added 3 x 1TB drives internally, a external RAID tower with 2 x 1 TB and 2 x 1.5TB drives, and added an external 1TB and 1.5TB usb drives. My total disk space is about 11 TB of which I'm using about 5TB so far.

Based on storage monitoring program I have, none of my data seems to be stored on the original WHS 500GB harddrive that came with the unit.

After reading all the articles about upgrading I already upgraded the memory to 2GB Corsair dual memory with 4-4-4-12 latency. This configuration has been working great for a couple months now.

Now the probleme, I just recently upgraded my cpu to AMD Atholon LE-1660 2.8GHz 45W processor. I had read the articles about upgrading to LE-1640 and saw a few posts that indicated that LE-1660 would work so after not finding a LE-1640, I bought a LE-1660 from newegg and the upgrade seemed to go well except for the following.

The processor temperature seems to run normal. When I get WHS Console to run it shows the CPU temp at 38C with the system temp about the same. I've even put a big fan in front of the unit that has been keeping it to about 32C.

Problem 1:

The system works but I'm having a problem with WHS Console and the fact that the unit locks up after a while.

It's weird because once I turn on the unit, it allows me to see and modify all my shared files on the unit and I can remote desktop on the server without a problem. However, if I try to log on to WHS Console from a remote computer or from within the remote desktop of the server it takes a little while and then once the WHS Console does come up it seems almost locked up. I can move my cursor all over the WHS Console selecting things without anything happening. If I wait about 10 mins or so, WHS Console finally starts to respond. When it does respond, it responds faster now than before I did the processor upgrade. Everytime, I reboot the server the same things happens.

Problem 2:

After a while, say about 30 to 40 minutes the server seems to lock up. It kicks me off any connections I have (i.e., it kicks me off remote desktop, WHS console, or losses connection with the shared files) and then it tells me that the server connection is not available. Additionally, when I look at the lights of my USB harddrives that are attached to the server, they seem to be lock also because they stop blinking or moving (which the always do under normal operation).

Proposed solution:

I am think of trying to reistall the OS on the WHS server. The problem is that I'm afraid that if I do it will wipe out my 5TB of data files.

Questions

Is there a way to re-install the OS without wipping out the data? Is it possible to remove all the drives except the original 500GB drive (the one that came with the unit when I bought it), re-install the operating system on the WHS server and then re-install the other drives and have them recognized by the WHS without trying to format the drives and losing all the data.

Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.

Monday, November 10, 2008 8:18 PM

Answers

• Bad situation.
    While a Server Reinstall should not cause any trouble for your data, this may come out different, if there is an hardware issue.
    If you have still a spare disk, you could try to detach all disks of your current WHS, attach only that spare disk and install WHS on it including all drivers you use on your current version.
    If this installation also starts to lock up, this could narrow down to a hardware problem, without risking your data.
    You could also check, if all cards, memory modules and cables are well seated in your WHS and if there is nothing else causing a circuit or such stuff.
    Do you see any error messages and warnings in the event log? Or if you run task manager - is there any process claiming more and more memory?
    Did you install any new drivers before the issue happened first? In this case also a rollback of that driver may solve the issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    I think it would be more interesting to check, what is happening if you place the old CPU back into the unit.
    Processors are sometimes sensitive, and it may well be, that there is an issue with the CPU, which manifests after a certain runtime. Since you mentioned the temperature is fine and no other hardware component has been changed, I would assume a hardware reason is originating your software problems.
    Olaf
    Monday, November 10, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Olaf.

Well I put the old processor back in and I am still having the same problem.   WHS Console just locks and I can't do anything with it.  This is fustrating.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:12 AM
  • Bad situation.
    While a Server Reinstall should not cause any trouble for your data, this may come out different, if there is an hardware issue.
    If you have still a spare disk, you could try to detach all disks of your current WHS, attach only that spare disk and install WHS on it including all drivers you use on your current version.
    If this installation also starts to lock up, this could narrow down to a hardware problem, without risking your data.
    You could also check, if all cards, memory modules and cables are well seated in your WHS and if there is nothing else causing a circuit or such stuff.
    Do you see any error messages and warnings in the event log? Or if you run task manager - is there any process claiming more and more memory?
    Did you install any new drivers before the issue happened first? In this case also a rollback of that driver may solve the issue.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:51 AM
  • Did you clean the base of the CPU heatsink and the CPU itself? Did you use a good quality heat sink cream?
    It sounds like a thermal issue with the CPU.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:28 AM