Old Computer & OneCare Alarms RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed OneCare (MS Equipt) on a older laptop with windows XP running on it. If XP decides that it's time to download windows updates, the laptop becomes unusable for an hour or two while it processes updates. Obviously, not an optimal situation, so I've set Automatic Updates to notify only, so I can download them when we're not trying to actually do anything on the laptop.

The problem is that OneCare has decided that not having Automatic Updates set all the way on is a red-flag situation. How do I tell OneCare to not worry about Automatic Updates on that laptop as I have to manage it manually?

Steve G.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hello Steve, unfortunately there is no workaround for this situation. The only options are to live with the red icon or set Automatic Updates to download and install automatically. In theory you should only get updates on the second Tuesday of each month so for all the other days of the month having AU set to Automatic should not cause too much disruption.  

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hello Steve, unfortunately there is no workaround for this situation. The only options are to live with the red icon or set Automatic Updates to download and install automatically. In theory you should only get updates on the second Tuesday of each month so for all the other days of the month having AU set to Automatic should not cause too much disruption.  

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:28 PM
  • I've moved this thread to the Tune-up topic folder since that's the part of OneCare that monitors Automatic Updates.

I'll add to Jim's correct reply that you have two choices for the AU settings:

1. Download and Install Immediately

2. Download and Install at a time you specify

Make sure that you use the second option to get back to green and select a time that will have the least chance of disrupting you when updates are offered and the laptop downloads and installs them.

-steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Unfortunately, neither of these will help solve my problem. The laptop in question is not used every day, so when it's turned on and there are Updates outstanding, with either of these settings XP will force the download of updates (whether you want it or not - there's no way of A) knowing what's going on or B) stopping the process) and the laptop is unusable for an hour or so. In fact, I first thought the laptop was infected with a virus and only discovered that the problem was Automatic Updates after several scans, some digging and general trial and error.

The problem with this is, of course, that we turned the laptop on so we could use it...
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Since there is no other way to deal with it, you may want to use a different security product on that laptop. H Sounds like it barely meets specs for OneCare. www.avast.com -free for home users. Other than this, you might just stop the main PC from being a Hub and ignore the red status on the laptop (or check it for other reasons when starting it up).

-Steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hmmmm. There's a couple of interesting ideas there. Is there any way to uninstall OneCare without removing the rest of the MS Equipt package?

Steve G.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:21 PM
  • You could try using the OneCare cleanup tool - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

It should initiate the removal without affecting Equipt. I'm not familiar with the retail Equipt install process, so I can't tell you if you have the ability to install and activate Equipt without letting OneCare install, if the removal of OneCare breaks the Office side of the install.

-steve

Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Thanks to everyone who has provided help with this! It's nice to have some options for dealing with my "problem child" laptop!

Steve G.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:14 PM