Getting a bit nervous now... RRS feed

• Question

• I bit the bullet and order the WGA Kit for £92 to sort out the fact that I replaced the motherboard in a machine with an OEM version of Win2K Pro.  I wasn't pleased to do it, but I've done it, so I don't have to worry about it ever again.

Anyway, I went through the MS site, did the genuine test stuff and ordered it via oms.one.microsoft.com and I've been trying to work out where to get the scanner/repair utility.  No email has appeared and its now been over an hour.  There's plenty of space on my card for this, so payment processing should have been instantaneous.

I haven't even had a confirmation that my order has been received and that payment is being processed.

Before you ask - I've checked all my junk mail filters and folders and there's nothing there.

Is there somewhere that I can confirm the status of my order?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• StephenM,

you can contact UK WGA support directly at

direct-mar@msdirectservices.com

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:34 PM
  • I just read this thread and it caused me to wonder if I can change the MB on my homebuilt MCE system.

I think I am addressing Microsoft.  I hope so because this is for them.

Is there anyway that I can chang the MB? 

You cannot believe how frustrated I am with the idea that I can't upgrade my system easily except for updates to the operating system, which is a little crazy - I can get all kinds of OS updates but I can't upgrade my MainBoard to put in a better CPU, come on this is nuts. It may be extortion; MS has a functional monoply and should tread carefully because there are alternatives that are getting better and more viable every day.  So while you work against piracy you should tone down the extortion.

This is absolutely blatent built-in obsolesence unless there is a fix, so please provide one.  Microsoft is going too far if they don't allow for the MB to be replaced.  I don't want to upset you, but I am really upset about this issue so I hope there is a simple fix that is not along the following lines:  We suggest you see the retailer of the software or purchase another copy of MCE that is already installed in a licensed vendor's product (/end sarcasm).  That doesn't cut it.  

I purchased the XP MCE seperate from the system components so no retailer can assist me.   Your MCE software is being sold as oem, that is reality.  Do not duck behind your policy.  If I had known how locked MCE was to the hardware I would not have purchased it.  It is to long past the purchase to return it.

It is up to you to help me!

SO PLEASE, PLEASE help me.

If there is a fix I apologise for the harshness, but I have posted for help in a microsoft newsgroup about this issue. As well an exchange of emails that was unhelpful, in fact the MS reply looked like a form letter and suggested I make an expensive phonecall.

D

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Derrick.

I eventually got an "in Process" email 4 hours after I made my order. 

Is there a problem with the order system?  Its not like MS is a small organisation where you might have to wait for someone to manually process your order.  This should have been done in seconds.  The order form should be integrated with a payment gateway and with your order system.  Payment should be processed immediately and emails should also be sent immediately.  Integration with back end systems, no matter how big or small they are, is also relatively simple, so whats the problem? 

You (microsoft) should probably also take a look at the credit card form.  You need to make sure that you are getting all the information required to correctly authenticate a credit card and currently it does not do this. You could be opening yourselves up to all sorts of fraud and liability.

Just some food for thought - now awaiting the next email......  Still in shock at how appallingly slow this process is.

Regards

Stephen

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:32 AM
  • GenuineD,

MS's End User Licensing Agreement for OEM licenses of XP, which you agreed to, does not allow movement of the operating system from the computer onto which it was first installed.  Since a computer is just a collection of parts, MS has established that the part that defines what the computer is, is the motherboard.  There is an exception that covers the situation of the replacement of a defective motherboard.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:52 PM
  • StephenM,

I am sorry for stepping into your thread with my problem.  I was excited at the prospect of possibly changing my MB and all my frustration came to the surface.  I hope your problem gets resolved.

Dan thank you for your response.

I do not need to be told about the EULA.  Your answer is interesting but I want to hear a solution from Microsoft.   Of particular interest is your statement that MS has determined what constitutes a computer.  While this is interesting it obfuscates the issue.  I want to upgrade my computer, MS is preventing that through their policy of tying the OS to the MB.   This is a reprehensible policy. 

While Microsoft is incredibly concerned (and rightfully) about piracy, they are, in effect,  morally equivalent to the worst pirates with this policy.   This is a policy that really messes with the end users' rights - whatever the agreement that exists between EUs and MS.   This policy may serve to create a far more problematic environment for MS than exists currently.  I am  looking seriously at Linux for my other systems, and all future systems.  I think a lot of people are.........Yet this doesn't get my immediate problem fixed which is a system that I can't upgrade in a fundemental way.

Thank you for answering my question at the end, but currently my MB does not seem to be defective simply unupgradable.  I am not crafty enough to find any defect in a functioning MB .   As I said your answer was interesting.

D

Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:03 PM