Virtualized card's unexpected behaviour!! RRS feed

• Question

• HEllo!!

working with virtualwifi, when i install it, while connecting at an Infrastructure network, it virtualize the card showing the ssid and mode for that and when i start virtualwifiservice and do ping some nodes, it successfully pings and shows reply packets arrival.

Problem occurs when i perform the same while staying at AdHoc network,(i.e. before installation of virtualwifi my laptop is connected with another in adhoc mode) and when i perform a ping operation for any node of that network, all the reply packet gets time out........................
    Now why this is happening?
    How can i get rid of it?

I need immediate help...........................................
    Please HELp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, April 7, 2008 5:50 AM

All replies

•  

Not sure why this happens. Could you perform the following tests?

1. Check to see if the card is still associated to the ad hoc network after you install VirtualWiFi?

2. Hard code the IP address of the virtual card to be the same the IP address without VirtualWiFi. Then, are the pings successful?

Could you also specify the make of your wireless card, and the driver version?

Friday, April 11, 2008 12:13 AM
  • Hi Ranveer,

I am running XP sp3 on NEC Versa E6000 laptop with Athros 802.11b wireless card...

Using all install info from virtual site I am running into problems at times as it seems to me to be saying at times to enter commands via command prompt.ie "WirelessUtils < unique_substring > setssid < ssid > < is/ah > -wep < disable/enable > -auth < open/shared > -key < key if using WEP >".

Command Prompt still says filename,directory name etc... is incorrect.

This might sound really dumb but are we talking about typing this in command prompt or some other method? This is also because if I type "VirtualWiFihelper.exe -op getssid" in command prompt nothing happens and it just prompts me as if I had not asked anything.

And....if I double click on WirelessUtils.exe for a split second, I see command prompt black window come up and then gone with no changes.

I had been able to install to the stage of having VirtualWiFi Miniport show on Network connections, and did also rename it "VirtualWiFi MM SSID" and follow instructions I thought I understood.

I have now removed application from add/remove and knowing a bit more, am still very keen to see about getting VirtualWiFi to work. 

Also at beginning in order to get miniport up on network connections I had problems and found an article by you some where on the net which I have now lost that had a manual way to setup through protocol but have forgotton so please could you help to guide this ignorant student....

Thanking you in advance

Chris Pitzer (NewZealand)

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

I am looking for the installation instructions for Virtualwifi. looks like microsoft research  have taken these down. I will appreciate it if you can email me these on montreal_fx@myway.com. Cheers.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:59 PM