Boot Screen RRS feed

• Question

• This may sound silly, but how about changing the boot screen when the server boots up?  When my server boots up it says Windows Server 2003.  Now this not a problem for me because I work eith Server 2k3, but for the average home user this my scare or freak them out a bit.  I'm just thinking if somebody was to set this up for their parents or friend.  Just a thought.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 3:33 AM

Answers

• Microsoft doesn't intend for most users to ever need to see the desktop on the server; the average home user will more likely be buying an OEM unit from a vendor such as Hewlett Packard or Gateway. These OEM units won't have KVM ports, so the user won't see the boot screen.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 4:24 AM

All replies

• Microsoft doesn't intend for most users to ever need to see the desktop on the server; the average home user will more likely be buying an OEM unit from a vendor such as Hewlett Packard or Gateway. These OEM units won't have KVM ports, so the user won't see the boot screen.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 4:24 AM
  •  

I do believe that there is some 'hacks/mods' out on the Internet that allows the user to change the boot screen to something more eye pleasing then WS2003.  If the people that set up for their families a server via a oem copy of WHS then they will have the skills to install these mods (if you do install any said mods and something goes wrong its your own fault not my) lol
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:25 AM
  • Hi!

In my German RTM copy the boot screen already says "Windows Home Server".

Maybe you are running RC1?

Regards, Alex

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:02 AM
  •  

My French RTM copy does say Windows Server 2003
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:11 PM
  • This is a known issue, and the Windows Home Server team is actively working on a resolution.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:05 AM
  • I think that the OEM software actually has instructions on how to change that screen. I may be mistaken on this. I have my OEM but have not installed it yet. Seems like there is some info in it.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:31 AM
  • Having installed the english Eval version, I can say that they do in fact have a Windows Home Server boot screen.  Swish.
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 11:46 AM