Windows Update Fails with Error Message RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have never had this issue before, but when I tried to do my monthly update on my Windows Home Server 2011 for the December 2017 update, I get this message:

"Windows update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running.  You may need to restart your computer."

(1) I did check the service, and it was running.

(2) I stopped and restarted the service  (didn't work).

(3) I rebooted the server (didn't work)

(4) I looked up the message and applied this technique:

go to services and stop Windows update service
    locate C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ folder and delete all its content
    start Windows update service
    check for updates  (Note:  a few items could not be deleted)

The items that could not be deleted seemed to keep this solution from working.

So... how can I start WHS so that it doesn't lock the files in the SoftwareDistribution directory that I'm trying to delete.  For example, in regular Windows, I can do a "safe boot".  Is there anything like that for WHS?

Thanks,

• Edited by RichLocus Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:55 AM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>how can I start WHS so that it doesn't lock the files in the SoftwareDistribution directory that I'm trying to delete.
    Please try to re-start system in Clean Boot, then, using command lines to re-name SoftwareDistribution folder. The function is same as deleting SoftwareDistribution folder, you can manually delete the renamed one later if there is no problem happens after the change:
    net stop wuauserv
    ren c:/windows/SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
    net start wuauserv

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If problem persist, Please make sure that below four services are running, or, you can manually re-start them to check the result:
    Application Identity
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Cryptographic Services
    Windows Update

Then, confirm that if you can check/install update. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:42 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>how can I start WHS so that it doesn't lock the files in the SoftwareDistribution directory that I'm trying to delete.
    Please try to re-start system in Clean Boot, then, using command lines to re-name SoftwareDistribution folder. The function is same as deleting SoftwareDistribution folder, you can manually delete the renamed one later if there is no problem happens after the change:
    net stop wuauserv
    ren c:/windows/SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
    net start wuauserv

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If problem persist, Please make sure that below four services are running, or, you can manually re-start them to check the result:
    Application Identity
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Cryptographic Services
    Windows Update

Then, confirm that if you can check/install update. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:42 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Thank you!

After a clean boot, I was able to delete all the files in the SoftwareDistribution directory.
    After the clean boot, I made sure that all the services listed above and BINGO!!  The updates worked.

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, December 15, 2017 1:48 AM