Adding a HDD to WHS that has content on it. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

First time posting and I hope folks here can help. I've recently build a new WHS as a replacement to my old one. I've got the system up to a point where I'm ready to load data. In an effort to save time I wanted to drop a drive loaded with content into the new WHS. When I drop the new drive into my WHS (physically connected to SATA or via USB enclosure) the system recognizes the drive but says I need to format it before use. Basically it doesn't recognize that it has data.

The drive was loaded using my Windows 7 desktop. The drive is recognized fine from there. This is really strange.

Any ideas?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:36 PM

Answers

• To add a drive to the storage pool it needs to be formatted by Windows Home Server first.  Copying the data from the drive to the server then adding the drive to the storage pool is probably the simplest way forward.
    --
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Windows Home Server won't migrate the content off the drive. When you connect a drive to your server, the assumption is that you have already migrated anything you want off the drive yourself. That's why, when you add a drive to the storage pool, you're warned that anything already on the drive will be lost.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:44 PM

All replies

• To add a drive to the storage pool it needs to be formatted by Windows Home Server first.  Copying the data from the drive to the server then adding the drive to the storage pool is probably the simplest way forward.
    --
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Hi Al, yes that is my plan. However, when the drive full of content is plugged into the WHS, the system doesn't recognize that there is any data on it. Yet, when I take the same drive and plug it into my Windows 7 desktop the data is there and the drive is readable.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Windows Home Server won't migrate the content off the drive. When you connect a drive to your server, the assumption is that you have already migrated anything you want off the drive yourself. That's why, when you add a drive to the storage pool, you're warned that anything already on the drive will be lost.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Hi David,

Sorry I should have said connect the drive to your Windows Machine and copy the data over the network to the server.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:23 AM
  • I believe what you have to do is dependent on what you wish to move over to the new system. If you want to move over just your shares, you should be able to find them when the drive is plugged in to a Windows 7 machine and copy them to the new server via your network. If you want to move over all your backups, you will need to put the drive back in your original home server and backup the backup database to an external drive added to the old server. You can also backup your shares this way. Then you can use these backups on the external drive to restore your backup database and/or your shares to the new machine. There is an add-in to automate backing up the backup database.

Mitch
    • Proposed as answer by Makman Friday, February 19, 2010 8:06 PM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 8:06 PM