Network Health - Backup Status RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ok, my kids have laptops that they usually use at school, not at home, so they don't always turn them on every two days.  The monitoring for when a PC was last backed up needs to be adjustable.  Either system wide, or preferably on a per-machine basis.  My son will usually turn his on and leave it on every two or three days.  My daughter on the other hand, may not turn her's on at home for a week. So I get constant warnings about her laptop not being backed up for the past two days.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:04 PM

All replies

• Doug,

I've filed a suggestion in Connect on this issue.

-- Chris

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=259466

Thursday, March 1, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I do want the server to attempt a backup every day, and do so if the machine is available.  What I don't want is to be nagged about it when my kid goes off on a school trip or something and his/her laptop isn't here to be backed up.  I want to be able to say for PC #1, warn me after two days, for PC #6, tell me if its been more than a week and etc.

Thanks for the input, though!

Doug

Friday, March 2, 2007 6:39 AM
  • I second this. both my wife and i use laptops as our main sytems. There are many times where one or the other may not be on for a day or two (or at least not at home). If there was some way to tell the Backup to not flag the system as not being backed as being "bad" for x amount of days. i.e. only flag an error condition if it has not been backed up in 3 days. Other wise i am pretty much seeing the Home Server icon as always red, at some point this just becomes the "normal" color and then people are much less likely to see or check on a more legit error "red" condition.

Monday, March 5, 2007 8:39 PM
  • I agree wholeheartedly on this idea of a configurable by device backup NAG time.

Additionally though with this on the HomeServer -> Computers&Backup tab, the status should indicate not just Backed Up, but backed up with the date/time of the backup.  This way you know if you set a laptop NAG at 1 week, it has been 5 days since backup.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:29 PM