Power Pack/Service Pack Beta Testing RRS feed

• Question

• Everyone's going to think I am a crank since I already have posted my "Frustrated" thread about WHS performance.

BUT, I have one more comment I want and need to make reference the above.

Many of us in this forum have been running WHS for a long time what with the original beta testing.  Further, many of us have put out our own money in support of the concept and product WHS represents.  We also are living with the product WHS is (is isn't??) at the moment.

IMHO, it should be only fair that as they develop WHS, we be given an opportunity to beta the improvements and further

help with the product's improvement.

I recognize that everyone probably is stressed and strained trying to solve the data corruption problem, but when that logjam clears I think somebody should go back and take a look at the beta issue.

If you agree with me, post into this thread and let the team know.

Rev

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:59 AM

Answers

• It has already been reported by Ken in reponse to an earlier post that there will be no public beta testing of PP1.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:07 AM

All replies

• It has already been reported by Ken in reponse to an earlier post that there will be no public beta testing of PP1.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Yes, Crash, I understand that.

But I am saying I disagree with that.  There's a wealth of help available in many of us who helped with the original betas and are running WHS now.

Frankly, I think they need the help (and I don't mean that disparagingly.)  There's enough issues to go around.  And it would do the rest of us good to see some progress and help get things right.

Rev

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:41 AM
  • I couldn't agree with you more, Rev.  I've been lurking for quite some time, and tinkering with the software since the big public beta of RC-2.  Normally i'd run sun/zfs for this application, but the community involvement from the accessible beta and add-ins has really won me over ... if they pull it now, i will be sorely disappointed.

the demigrator/balancing setup is easily the worst aspect of WHS.  it's trying to be one of the stronger features, but seriously falls down  when it comes to the degradation of quality and speed experienced from it, not to mention the recently exposed issues of file corruption.  we know beta testing something like this is potentially risky, but we also love tinkering, we love options, we love configuring and testing and making the solution just perfect, and on the right forum geeks can and will create and grow the community to a better place. 

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:31 AM