none
Can a WHS host Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to have the three PCs that hang off WHS to be able to pull Windows updates from a WSUS 3.0 SP2 hosted on WHS. Can I install this using the remote desktop client??  Has anyone tried this before?  Any idea what it would break? It works on Windows server 2003 and 2008 and the only post I can find (03/2008) says it sucked up all the bandwidth and needed uninstalled.

Thanks in advance for sharing your know-how!
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:44 PM

All replies

• It's possible, yes, but completely unsupported, i.e. neither team supports such configurations. I would recommend against it due to bandwidth and disk space issues.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:04 PM
  • A warning first: It is possible, may violate the EULA, may break your setup and initially uses a lot of your bandwidth.

You should spend an additional disk drive not added to the server storage. This disk should only be used for WSUS to hold the updates and the WSUS data base.
    Add a drive letter to that disk using disk management-

Then install the WSUS 3.0 package and configure WSUS to your needs. This is an advanced topic and can't be discussed here in detail.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:06 PM