Version of Windows Media Connect (WMC) used in WHS RC1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've just installed WHS RC1 today. The area of functionality I was most keen to experiment with was the WMC UPnP Server capability.

The reason for this is that I purchased a Momento Picture Frame (the same one demo'd at the last WWDC) that uses UPnP to stream pictures from a UPnP server.

The device is designed to work with WMC, and it does work with the new version of WMC incorporated in WMP11. Unfortunately I've discovered that it is not compatible with the verison of WMC that is used on WHS RC1 and appears to be the old stand alone install version of WMC.

This version does not support the <SearchCriteria>(upnp:class DERIVEDFROM "object.item.imageItem")</SearchCriteria> option and returns a Unsupported or invalid search criteria error.

I want to be able to "stream" the pictures direct from WHS and not rely on a "client" PC running XP & WMP11.

Is a new stand alone updated version of WMC going to be made available to bring the functionality/compatability of that on WHS up to that on XP and WMP11.

Thanks

Cliff

Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:35 PM

Answers

• WHS uses Windows Media Connect 2, and no, you will not see an updated version of WMC. WMC was discontinued and the technology rolled into Windows Media Player. Unless/until Windows Media Player is available on Windows Server 2003, you won't see the updated features available.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 2:31 AM

All replies

• WHS uses Windows Media Connect 2, and no, you will not see an updated version of WMC. WMC was discontinued and the technology rolled into Windows Media Player. Unless/until Windows Media Player is available on Windows Server 2003, you won't see the updated features available.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 2:31 AM
  • This will be a pretty serious over sight if is does not get updated. Lauching a new "platform" with inferior functionality to the desk top would not be smart. I hope this gets picked up by someone who can correct this. Thanks
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Just to connect the loop for other readers - it is possible to get the momento to work with WHS (UNSUPPORTED) - see this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1808436&SiteID=50

Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:17 AM
  •  

It's a poor show that the latest version of WMC was not used in this new flag ship home media sharing solution from MS.

As regards the Momento Picture frame - I've tried to contact iMate support to discuss other UPnP compatability issues with the frame and have not recieved any reply. Unfortunately the frame was developed by a company in the UK (A Livingpicture) and it was then sold to or bought up by iMate (the PDA outfit) and all UK support has been disbanded. So while its a good product in concept - there would appear to be no ongoing support/development so far as I can tell :-(

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Cliff, WHS isn't a "home media sharing solution." It's not described that way in the literature, and I don't see any signs that it's going to be marketed that way. If you think of it as designed for centralized media storage and distribution first and foremost, then it's not a poor show, it's worthless. Smile However, if you think of it as a file server and backup engine with some basic media sharing, then it's very much on target and innovative, because most homes A) don't have a backup plan now at all, and B) seem to want to share files with each other, and maybe with grandma and grandpa, but can't really figure out how to do it. WHS makes both those tasks easy.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:16 AM
  • I disagree. Microsoft is promoting Windows Home Server as the product to manage all your digital media. As a member of the Windows Consumer family, full WMC support is implied... Microsoft can't even come up with good language to explain this situation to the consumer.

This is a fine example of why Microsoft is losing in digital media. Imagine if Apple had iTunes gradient versions... imagine "you need an iPod that supports iTunes 6 and 7 to work with this device".

I would be very worried about the future of WHS if Microsoft is not already hard at work on WMP11 for WHS/Win2003.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 8:49 AM
  • Christopher, I'm going to suggest that you take a look at the Microsoft WHS Marketing site. Media is mentioned, but it's not emphasized. And in the FAQ section there, they discuss the difference between WHS and Media Center/Vista Premium:

Windows Home Server works with your Windows PC. Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows Vista Home Premium are designed to run on personal computers and provide acquisition and management of media, such as TV programs, music, and photos. Windows Home Server is designed to make managing a home network, with Windows XP PCs and Windows Vista PCs, easier and more automatic. It does this by acting as a centralized place for storage, enabling remote access and providing automated backup for all PCs in house.

So I don't know where you're getting "full WMC support is implied" but it's not from Microsoft.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 12:02 PM
  • Ken, no matter what the MS Marketing stratergy is, was or may have been for WHS, there is no escaping the fact that the significance of UPnP AV media sharing will have risen many fold since the initial inception of WHS as a product. To the point now where people will expect this functionality, and expect it without any caveats over what the WHS version is capable of doing verses the implementations in XP WMP11 and Vista. We live in changing times and what may have been deemed suitable or sufficiant to start with isn't necessarily always going to remain so. That's my last word on the subject, here - I'll wait and see what turns up down the line...

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Odd, I could have sworn I have windows media player 11 installed on WHS. I believe it came down with one of the automatic microsoft windows updates. All you need to do is logon to the WHS console, browse to the /program files/windows media player? folder and run wmplayer.exe to set it up.

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:22 PM
  • WiMP 11 hasn't come down as an automatic update here, though IE7 did. The version in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player is #10.

Whilst I may be wrong, I seem to recall dicussion here that #11 doesn't and can't be installed on WHS. Certainly the spec for #11 says it's only for XP or versions of Vista that don't have it pre-installed.

Monday, July 30, 2007 11:43 PM
  • We may live in changing times, and whilst the significance of uPnP AV media sharing is increasing and some people may expect this functionality, it's not mass market yet and is still mainly the preserve of the enthusiast.

Marketing strategy has nothign to do with it - the feature set for WHS was set some time ago, and until the base OS moves to Server 2008, which will be at least v2, media support not going to change - the functionality just isn't there.

Monday, July 30, 2007 11:59 PM
  • It is possible to install WMP11 on WHS. Just follow the instructions on the net for installing on server2003.  It involves opening the .exe with something like winrar and running a couple of exe files in compatability mode.  Bit of a 10 minute hassle but it does work.  Remember its not supported by MS though
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:48 AM
  • Thanks for the info, but I don't intend to run WHS other than as a server and am happy with #11 on my PCs. Cheers!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 7:44 PM
  • I hope this is an area they improve on going forward.  I'm sure the team debated all of these points, and must weigh what they can do in version 1 plus what is being delivered in media-center.

I'm not that interested in running a media center PC on top of WHS, and I would much rather have streaming capabilities built into the 1 computer I want to leave on 24x7.  Which would be 2 less than today!

Thursday, August 2, 2007 1:41 AM