How do i remove the "Get Genuine Office" off my quick launch task bar?????????????? RRS feed

• Question

• please help, my mother was playing on the computer and now, she has asked me to remove this highly annoying pop up on her quick launch task bar..... i've tried searching the computer for the source of this star shaped icon..... no luck....
    can anyone help?
    • Changed type JeniferA Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:19 PM Question, not comment
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, August 9, 2009 3:12 PM Moved to proper category (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:39 AM

Answers

• Dear Sammy55,
    We are sorry to hear about the problem you are currently experiencing. It appears that the copy of Microsoft Office on your computer needs to be validated as Genuine. Please visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the "Validate Office" button. This will run an ActiveX utility to validate whether or not your copy of Microsoft Office is Genuine. If validation determines that your copy of Microsoft Office is not Genuine, you will be provided with instructions on how to resolve this issue.

There are many situations which can cause Office to become non-genuine. Let me give one example: customers have taken their systems into PC repair shops, along with all the software received when purchasing their system. The repair technician resolves the issue, but instead of using the original software to reinstall the customer's applications, the technician takes a shortcut and installs a copy that uses a blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK). Voila - your system is suddenly non-genuine. You may not know for months this is the case, until you attempt to download an update or a template. 

Running validation will confirm whether or not you are running Genuine software. If you are, the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer will immediately disappear. If you are not, you will be provided with information on how to resolve this issue. For more information, please visit the Genuine website at www.microsoft.com/genuine.

Thank you,
    Jenifer

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:41 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:41 PM

All replies

• Dear Sammy55,
    We are sorry to hear about the problem you are currently experiencing. It appears that the copy of Microsoft Office on your computer needs to be validated as Genuine. Please visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the "Validate Office" button. This will run an ActiveX utility to validate whether or not your copy of Microsoft Office is Genuine. If validation determines that your copy of Microsoft Office is not Genuine, you will be provided with instructions on how to resolve this issue.

There are many situations which can cause Office to become non-genuine. Let me give one example: customers have taken their systems into PC repair shops, along with all the software received when purchasing their system. The repair technician resolves the issue, but instead of using the original software to reinstall the customer's applications, the technician takes a shortcut and installs a copy that uses a blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK). Voila - your system is suddenly non-genuine. You may not know for months this is the case, until you attempt to download an update or a template. 

Running validation will confirm whether or not you are running Genuine software. If you are, the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer will immediately disappear. If you are not, you will be provided with information on how to resolve this issue. For more information, please visit the Genuine website at www.microsoft.com/genuine.

Thank you,
    Jenifer

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:41 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hello fdsgdas,

The Windows and Office Genuine Advantage Notifications Utility is installed as a quid pro quo in return for the installation of "nice to have" tidbits from Microsoft, such as Dream Scene or the souped up calculator application, or the privilege of visiting the Windows/Office update site and manually downloading and installing Windows Updates.

The Windows and Office Genuine Advantage Notifications Utility is installed on computers only after the user approves its installation.

Users who do not want to install the WGA Notifications Utility are NEVER forced to install it.

Of course part of the reason for Microsoft doing this is to increase their revenue from software sales (that's what they do to earn a living).  If you are in the business of selling something that you created, it is perfectly understandable that you would want to take steps to be paid when people are using what you created.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:50 AM