How to delete Microsoft Gold Shield RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

The MS update Gold Shield has appeared on my task bar with IE8 ready to download.

But I just deleted IE8 from my XP SP3 computer!  IE7 is best for me.

Any idea as to how I can simply delete the gold shield at will?

I just want to prevent IE8 from downloading and I don't want to fool with it any more.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,
    This Knowledge Base article provides step-by-step instructions on how to remove Internet Explorerer 8. If that doesn't resolve the issue, there is a link on the page to contact Support.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Monday, June 15, 2009 3:47 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:47 PM

All replies

• ____ F Paul,

Try the IE 8 blocker toolkit here:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21687628-5806-4ba6-9e4e-8e224ec6dd8c&displaylang=en
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for the link.  I now have the blocker on my computer but...
    my automatic update gold shiwld icon NOW has IE8 waiting for me to download.  The blocker cannot remove this download from the taskbar.  What I need to do is remove the icon itself.  A little program that deletes the icon would be nice.  Then the blocker can go to work.  But now the icon with IE8 on it has to be removed somehow.

I can bypass the download but it comes back when I reboot.

Wonder where that reference is on the computer?  Maybe I can find it and delete it there?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hi Paul,
    This Knowledge Base article provides step-by-step instructions on how to remove Internet Explorerer 8. If that doesn't resolve the issue, there is a link on the page to contact Support.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Monday, June 15, 2009 3:47 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:47 PM