none
My Hard Drive Died! I Need to Revalidate?

Question

• Indeed my computer got dropped and it killed my hard drive. We've moved a bunch of times and the backup disks are somewhere where lost socks go. I dug around some dumpsters and found me a copy of vista home premium. My computer is licensed for Vista home premium. Can i substitute the dumpster vista for my crashed vista by typing in the product key that is on the back side of my computer? This should be legal i think! HP won't sell me new backup disks because this computer is old so i'm stuck. Thanks
    • Edited by Wylderover Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:30 AM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Q.  "Can i substitute the dumpster vista for my crashed vista by typing in the product key that is on the back side of my computer?"

A.   No.  You'll need to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows 7 instead.  Example: Windows 7 Home Premium

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:16 AM
  • "Wylderover" wrote in message news:89dcb4e1-4583-49db-9e48-c8dcfa7659c0...
    Indeed my computer got dropped and it killed my hard drive. We've moved a bunch of times and the backup disks are somewhere where lost socks go. I dug around some dumpsters and found me a copy of vista home premium. My computer is licensed for Vista home premium. Can i substitute the dumpster vista for my crashed vista by typing in the product key that is on the back side of my computer? This should be legal i think! HP won't sell me new backup disks because this computer is old so i'm stuck. Thanks

Is the dumpster copy a hologrammed disk, or an OEM disk?
    If it’s hologrammed, then you should be able to use it – if it’s an OEM disk, it’s probably only part of a Recovery set, and sill not work on your machine.

HP do not usually stop selling disks unless they run out. If you’re in the US, try restoredisks.com – if elsewhere look for a similar service in your country.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Yes this disk looks like there is a hologram on it. I guess hp did indeed run out of Vista disks. Window 7 beats vista in the way it runs Windows 7 is almost bullet proof. But its way to expensive to use in an old 32 bit computer. This computer i'm on right now uses xp which has been a great operating system. I've had no trouble at all with it. Thanks for the info!
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:27 PM
  • "Wylderover" wrote in message news:18ae9b83-48b8-4c78-b4dd-3795b942f7fb...
    Yes this disk looks like there is a hologram on it. I guess hp did indeed run out of Vista disks. Window 7 beats vista in the way it runs Windows 7 is almost bullet proof. But its way to expensive to use in an old 32 bit computer. This computer i'm on right now uses xp which has been a great operating system. I've had no trouble at all with it. Thanks for the info!

Your response begs the question of whether you had a valid/genuine install in the first place.
    HP disks do NOT come with holograms – they are pre=stamped with the HP logo, and are limited to installation on HP computers.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Unfortunately, the MGA Forum participants cannot offer credible advice concerning the validity of Windows Vista installation media obtained from a dumpster. I would suggest you try reposting your inquiry in the HP Desktop Operating systems and software Forum.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:24 PM
  • My computer didn't come with backup disks. There is a program called Recovery manager which you use to make the backups. What i have now is a disk that is a old Microsoft Vista disk. Hp gave me some driver disks with my system but the OS on this machine came preloaded.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:01 AM
  • ...which is why you should have created the backup set as soon as you got the machine, and kept them safe :)

Now (if, as you say, HP say they no longer have the recovery disks for this machine) you you may be able to use the hologrammed Recovery disk for the reinstall, but you'll be missing things like special drivers, and any HP-installed applications.

As I said - try restoredisks.com or similar outlets (but make sure of their credentials first, as some of the sites are more like pirate outlets than proper businesses)

Sunday, October 23, 2011 8:34 AM
  • I'm kind of reluctant to purchase from Restore.com as they seem to have an iffy track record. There is service called HP Recovery Center, can't find much about them at all. Have you or anyone you know tried any of these services. Believe it or not Vista will start and run on my computer but will freeze. There are files that can't be read seemingly all over the hard drive. I got a program that will recover all the good files. Maybe i can use this to recover the recovery files and then compare to them against my vista disk bring whats missing over restoring the recovery files then make new recovery cd's. Worth a try.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Do not purchase recovery media from third-party sources - the advice to do so was absolutely poor at best.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:54 AM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:3f8070bf-1286-4086-aa9e-1f493be9d3cc...
    Do not purchase recovery media from third-party sources - the advice to do so was absolutely poor at best.
    Carey Frisch

Carey –
    When the OEM is unable or unwilling to service a system, but a responsible third-party company can, then there is little option short of purchasing a Full Retail license, which may be beyond the pocket of many users.

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:41 AM
  • "Wylderover" wrote in message news:9d525283-c1e0-4118-a9cd-3474556dc9b6...
    I'm kind of reluctant to purchase from Restore.com as they seem to have an iffy track record. There is service called HP Recovery Center, can't find much about them at all. Have you or anyone you know tried any of these services. Believe it or not Vista will start and run on my computer but will freeze. There are files that can't be read seemingly all over the hard drive. I got a program that will recover all the good files. Maybe i can use this to recover the recovery files and then compare to them against my vista disk bring whats missing over restoring the recovery files then make new recovery cd's. Worth a try.

note – I said restoredisks.com, not restore.com, which appears to be nothing but a spamvertising holding page :)

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:42 AM