Home Server 2011 - "The domain name is not setup" RRS feed

• Question

• Brand new installation.

Running a Cisco 877, ports 80, 443 and 4125 are open and forwarded to my home server.

Try to access the site, times out.

When checking the Dashboard shows:

A Red Cross beside the Remote Web Access Icon with "The domain name is not setup" below. Has the option to Turn Off or Repair.

Router

Router IP: Unknown
    Model: Unknown

(More Details shows the Gateway though so how is the Router IP Unknown!?!?

When I try to setup the Router it fails as UPnP is disabled, ports ARE open though. I can skip this and choose to manually setup the Router, but this doesn't change anything in the console.

Domain Name

The Domain Name is not setup (Setup)

When I try to setup the Domain Name I choose to use a Domain I already own (As I own a domain) and then am asked to choose a domain name service provider. Why? I have a Domain, 2 seconds previous I selected that option. I have remote.mydomain set to my IP. It's all there, so why does it want me to pay someone else?

Obviously the RWA will not enable correctly until it thinks these steps are done, but I cannot see what I am meant to even do.

Friday, May 18, 2012 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken

So basically Microsoft are being paid off by GoDaddy to extort WHS users? I've done a bit of research and the tools to install the certificate manually have been removed it appears even.

I have got the site working now, but of course the certificate error is getting annoying. I've set this up for myself and housemates, and have a big red page come up with errors every time unless I pay $50 a year is not acceptable to me. I've viewed and installed the certificate through IE on the clients and this does not stop the error at all. It's like MS want this product to fail (or Vail as it were).

From memory there was a tool that allowed this (installing a custom certificate on WHS) in the previous version, or it was not removed from the 2003 base at least. If only it were possible to export the 2011 web site and run it ontop of the 2003 based WHS...

• Marked as answer by Allister Wade Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:21 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 4:15 PM

All replies

• When I try to setup the Domain Name I choose to use a Domain I already own (As I own a domain) and then am asked to choose a domain name service provider. Why? I have a Domain, 2 seconds previous I selected that option. I have remote.mydomain set to my IP. It's all there, so why does it want me to pay someone else?

Windows Home Server will only work with the listed providers. By "work with" I mean configure port forwarding for your custom URL, and obtain a certificate for your server to use. Without using one of the listed providers, your server will report that your domain name is not set up and (if you have some other way of pointing your domain to your IP address) users connecting to your server's remote access web site will see a warning that your server's certificate isn't valid for the domain.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Hi Ken

So basically Microsoft are being paid off by GoDaddy to extort WHS users? I've done a bit of research and the tools to install the certificate manually have been removed it appears even.

I have got the site working now, but of course the certificate error is getting annoying. I've set this up for myself and housemates, and have a big red page come up with errors every time unless I pay $50 a year is not acceptable to me. I've viewed and installed the certificate through IE on the clients and this does not stop the error at all. It's like MS want this product to fail (or Vail as it were).

From memory there was a tool that allowed this (installing a custom certificate on WHS) in the previous version, or it was not removed from the 2003 base at least. If only it were possible to export the 2011 web site and run it ontop of the 2003 based WHS...

• Marked as answer by Allister Wade Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:21 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hey there,

You dont have to pay for certificate. Go to this page and sign up for an sighed cert https://www.startssl.com/

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:34 PM