Blocking the cloaking detection bot RRS feed

• Question

• I recently came across a posting (http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2007/12/04/live-search-and-cloaking-detection.aspx) about a live search bot that mimics normal human browsing signatures in an attempt to locate cloaked content.

When I found this traffic last year, I was installing a system that analyzes visitor behavior on my web site to determine what the most popular and related products we list are. Knowing that this bot traffic was an obvious bot and that there was no way to filter it out of the logging system (it mimics legitimate search engine referal strings, valid user agents, and comes from a variety of IP addresses) I used a stat analyzer to find every IP address block the traffic was coming from and blocked it at the server level.

If use of this bot is a spam prevention method, will completely blocking the bot cause my rankings on MSN or Live Search to be reduced, or the site to be deindexed?
    Monday, August 4, 2008 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I can't honestly say what will happen, but I don't recommend blocking those IP addresses.

Monday, August 4, 2008 4:23 PM