Run Windows Server 2008 and WHS Simultaneously? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking to buy a media server (probably one of the HP MediaSmart models) to consolidate the family's media library (scattered across 2 desktops, 3 laptops, Mac and Windows).    I also need to run Windows Server 2008 for a work-project I'm developing.

Is it possible to get Server 2008 to run on the same machine that is running WHS?

I've googled articles that describe how to replace WHS with WS2K8, but that is not what I want.   WHS will be the primary server OS and I'll only need WS2K8 when I need to test something with a Active Directory domain.

So the question is this: can a media server either be configured to dual-boot WHS and WS2K8, or can WS2K8 be run as a virtual machine on the media server, and if so, how?

Thanks,
    Roland Thomas

Life Motto #1: "Live your life like you give a damn."
    Monday, December 14, 2009 11:21 AM

All replies

• These OEM servers have all a low capability CPU, so Virtual Server or something like that will not work well, and performing an installation of Windows Server 2008 may also be an interesting experience without graphics card. Dual boot would be also no option without screen output and attached keyboard.
    The also unsupported, but in my opinion still best method to run both OS given adequate hardware is to run Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V as main OS and run Windows Home Server as a guest OS with the data disks mounted directly to the virtual machine.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:37 PM