none
price difference between XP home and Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running XP Pro on my home PC which was installed without my permission by a guy who did a repair on my PC. I now find that it is not genuine. Is it going to cost me more to upgrade this through the windows genuine system than if I had the home version. If so, can I opt for the home version instead?
    Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:56 AM

Answers

• Saffkitten,

If you still have the Windows 98 CD, and it was for a full version of W98, you can use it as "qualifying media" for the installation of XP Home retail upgrade, which is the least expensive way to buy XP (not counting XP Starter Edition only sold in a few countries).

In the USA, major office supply and consumer electronics retailers have recently sold XP Home upgrade for as low as $39.99 after rebate.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:16 PM

All replies

• If you have a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional installed, your only option is to purchase the WGA Kit for Windows XP Professional since one cannot "Update" XP Pro to XP Home.
    Saturday, July 15, 2006 1:51 PM
  • Saffkitten,

What was on the computer before the repairman put a nongenuine XP Pro on it?

Saturday, July 15, 2006 3:22 PM
  • Windows 98
    Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:07 PM
  • Saffkitten,

If you still have the Windows 98 CD, and it was for a full version of W98, you can use it as "qualifying media" for the installation of XP Home retail upgrade, which is the least expensive way to buy XP (not counting XP Starter Edition only sold in a few countries).

In the USA, major office supply and consumer electronics retailers have recently sold XP Home upgrade for as low as $39.99 after rebate.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:16 PM