SVCHOST pegs system at 100% after 2.0 Update applied RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All - Live Care automatically updated on me last night and life has been hell ever since!  Spent hours with Microsoft Tech Support to no avail.  Without 2.0 installed, things worked fine.  With 2.0, two instances of SVCHOST run (system and local).  Between them and WINSS, 100% of CPU is utilized.  I have de-installed and re-installed under guidance of MS but the problem remains quite persistently.  Right now it appears I will have to de-install and buy the Norton product because AV and Firewall are behaving badly - they appear to work and upon reboot, disappear.  Then I go into services and it says LiveCare is running (when it is not apparent) or, alternately, says the service is stopped and a reboot is required.  The reboot doesn't solve the problem.

I seem to recall that Automatic Updates created a similar SVCHOST runaway problem in the past but shutting down Automatic Updates seems to a less desired route!

Yikes, tell me this is just a bad dream from which my PC and I will awake happy and content.

Thanks,

Ken

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:23 PM

Answers

• Hello, Ken. Sorry to read that this bug has bitten you. Since you have an open support case, all I can tell you at this point is that the OneCare team is working hard to identify the cause of this problem ad get it fixed.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hello, Ken. Sorry to read that this bug has bitten you. Since you have an open support case, all I can tell you at this point is that the OneCare team is working hard to identify the cause of this problem ad get it fixed.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Steve  --  Thanks for your concern but things have not improved.  I requested "level 2" support and MS agreed.  They suggested a time and NEVER called!  I understand you are not responsible for this problem or lack of a solution but I thought I would go on record of being both disappointed that Microsoft released such a buggy upgrade and that they are not making any overt attempt to correct the problem on my system.

Ken

Monday, December 10, 2007 1:56 PM
  • I too received the 2.0 update.  I have spent hours and hours trying to correct this update and make it operate.  Followed all instruction I could find, MS support has quit responding and I am left hanging out in the cold with a CPU running at 100% and a dam near unuseable computer.  Has anyone found a way to go back to a point before the update?  I have searched and searced and have not founda link to the prior version.

I thought MS had moved beyond not testing software and leaving people hanging........

Rick

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:10 PM
  • I, too, have had this same experience.  I can't get anything to run.  It is interesting to note that my memory use has gone down by half as well.  Unload Onecare and I move at the speed of light and I can use most of my 2 Gig mem.

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:38 PM
  • If support did not contact you at the agreed upon time, please post the case ID and I'll have someone investigate.

I'm sorry that you (and others) are encountering this problem. I know that the OneCare team is working hard to identify the cause of the problem and provide a solution as soon as possible.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:33 PM
  • All -

Here is some additional information you may find helpful.  The bottom line is I have recovered enough of my machine so I can run without SVCHOST consuming all resources.

first - Steve - thanks for your offer but I responded to the e-mail sent by my level 1 tech support rep.  I appreciate your offer but I can handle it from this isde.  Your time is too valuable to others to chase down distracting details like a call back from level 2 (but really, thanks for the offer!)

fellow sufferers - here is what I did to regain some control over my machine.

1.  System tools:  I made a "restore point"

2.  Control Panel - Security Center:  I went in and turned off AUTOMATIC UPDATES

3.  Went to Microsoft OneCare Web Site and found a "Clean up tool" to remove all vestiges of the 2.0 installation

4.  Rebooted

5.  Created a new "Restore Point"

6.  Went back to Microsoft OneCare Web Site and downloaded "90 day free trial"

7.  Went through installation AFTER (BE CAREFUL HERE):

be sure TERMINAL SERVICES is turned on, "Automatic" and "Started"

be sure Windows Live Services are "Automatic" and "Started"

be sure to WAIT for Windows Live OneCare to "discover" your home network - it takes its time

8.  Created yet another "Restore Point"

9.  Ran Task Manager - sure enough, PC was pegged at 100%

Now this next part makes NO SENSE whatsover but it is working.....

10.  I killed both instances of SVCHOST (both System and Local)

11.  I then reran the OneCare cleaner and supposedly removed the 2.0 installation

12.  I created yet another "Restore Point"

You would think I had no instance of OneCare running but I apparently do!  I used Windows Explorer and found that I still had a directory for OneCare.  I ran the application's exe and it brought up the OneCare console which said my Firewall and Anti-Virus was running (a red "urgent" message appeared because Automatic Updates was still off.

I went to a web site and IE blocked a download.  I have some protection but I do not feel comfortable (AT ALL).  However, I do have a machine and it is able to go to the 'net with some protection.

This is not a good outcome but it is a useable one.  The steps I took are bizarre - proceed on your own with caution.

Regards,

Ken

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Microsoft Support Incident: SRX1051724258

Here is my case ID for the list.   Still no repy to my last e-mail asking what happened to the guy....

Rick

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information, Ken. And, Rick, I'll ping support for you.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:53 PM
  •  Rocky-USA wrote:

Microsoft Support Incident: SRX1051724258

Here is my case ID for the list.   Still no repy to my last e-mail asking what happened to the guy....

Rick

Rick, have you heard from support again, yet? I was advised that you should have received an email on the 6th and the 8th and they have a record of your message from the 9th, too. I was told that they would follow-up with you again.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I have not heard anything from support since prior to the 6th.  That includes today.  I check my spam filter every day, there are no pending message My laptop is no longer usable so I can not get onto Outlook to copy all of my messages and the dates.  Did not have time to work on it today but hope to have time tomorrow or the next to try and get it back up again.  I have moved to my desk pc.  It is running LOC 1.6 and is still fine.  Wish I could back track the laptop.

Will keep waiting,

Rick

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:48 AM
  • Hello,

I'm having the same problem as the people above. My computer has been virtually unuseable for the past week, and even getting online is nearly impossible because of the CPU overload. I've tried un- and re-installing OneCare, to no avail (although the computer worked fine w/out LOC). I've also disabled "peer-to-peer", following someone's suggestion on another forum, but that didn't help. I'm running Win XP.

How can I contact support? All I can find is a useless help section with either automated (and irrelevant) responses or a "feedback" area, which tells me I won't receive a personal response.

Any help is appreciated,

Patrick

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:34 AM
  • Steve -

The Microsoft OneCare "support team" is inadequate to the challenge.  (Please refer to the e-mail exchange below).

To all others facing this same dilemma, be forewarned that "level 2" tech support doesn't even bother to read the case history even when they call 48 hours after the promised time.

As an I/T Director, I would be embarrassed if one of my support staff so badly handled a user's legitimate request.  To be blunt, I feel abused and it seriously affects my opinion of OneCare and its staff.

Kenneth Gorman

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victor -

I was VERY dissatisfied with your call last evening.  It was clear that you had not even bothered to read the case notes.  Having spent a minimum of 5 hours in telephone calls with OneCare Tech Support, the prospect of going through this yet again was completely unacceptable.  You can 'archive' this open issue however you choose.  To me, it is nothing more than Microsoft attempting to evade their responsibility for distributing a pitiful product that breaks consumer PCs. 

I have NO INTENTION of letting this go.  However, my avenue of resolution will now be very public in forums and letters to editors of various PC magazines. 

I strongly suggest you advise your manager that this is now a "hot and angry" customer.  Some serious public criticism is coming at Microsoft.  This product is PATHETIC!

Ken Gorman

From: WINDO.ONCR.NA.00.EN.HAH.MNL.TS.2CB.PBA.00.PI@css.one.microsoft.com
    To: wooden_ships@hotmail.com
    CC:
    Subject: SRX1051831519ID - OneCare\v2.0\XPPSP2\Performance\System experiencing slower performance after installing Onecare\
    Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:38:50 +0000

Hi Ken Gorman,

This is Victor with Windows Live OneCare. 

It was my pleasure to work with you on your Windows Live OneCare case 1051831519.  Unfortunately, we were unable to resolve your issue.  However, I hope that you were satisfied with the service provided to you.

I will archive the case as Not-Resolved.  If you are not very satisfied with the support we’ve provided please let us know as soon as possible.  My goal is to ensure that your experience with Windows Live OneCare leaves you very satisfied with our products and services.

Here is a summary of the key points of the case for your records:

ACTION                 : Installed Onecare

RESULT                : Got slow performance on computer, Onecare is not working

CAUSE                  : Unknown

RESOLUTION      : Customer declined scope, closing case

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you.  If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, Vicky Macatangay, my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions.  You may reach my manager by sending an email to mailto:Microsoft.Feedback.NA6@css.one.microsoft.com

Thank you for contacting Windows Live OneCare.

Sincerely,

Victor John Mendoza

v-4vicm@mssupport.microsoft.com

12:00PM-9:00PM PST, Monday to Friday

*When replying, please include your case number, name, email address and phone number.  Thank you.*

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:51 PM

• Please forward a copy (maybe snail mail is better) to Bill Gates.  Ask if this is up to his standards!!
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:35 PM
  •  

If it's SVCHOST that is causing the performance issue, it would be a good start to figure out what services are running under the SVCHOST process that is causing the problem, to maybe narrow it down to a third party service that shouldn't be there.

Open Task Manager and check the processes tab to see if you can find the PID number that is related to the SVCHOST that is causing the CPU Spike problem.  It will usually be a 3 or 4 digit number.

Next go to command prompt and type TASKLIST /SVC and hit enter.  You will see a list of all the tasks, as well as all the SVCHOST processes running.

Find the SVCHOST in the TASKLIST that has the same PID and check what services are running under it.  That can sometimes give insight into what could be causing the slowdown.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I followed your instructions and it did not work for me.  I tried several variants with the same response.

I checked the help file and this command is not listed anywhere. 

Am I missing something?

I did find my SVCHOST is running PID 2720 and 1180, WINSS is running PID 1812.  Between the three 100% processor is in use.

Response to TASKLIST:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\TASKLIST /SVC
    'TASKLIST' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Rick

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for bringing this up to LOC support.

I had a message from Simon at support this morning asking for a times and several days where support could contact me.  I only have a coulple of days and hours left this week and I sent them back to him asking for the date support would contact me.  No response so far.  It is a start though.

Rick

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Hello Kevin -

Yours is a good suggestion.  I actually went one step further and used "Process Explorer" which is part of the SYSINTERNALS suite of analysis tools developed by Mark Rosshanovich.  Microsoft recently purchased this independent developers product set and the tools are available for download from the Microsft web site - and, they are offered free of charge. 

Process Explorer indicates that SVCHOST is in a loop with the Kernel.dll  - I am sure you understand the seriousness of that discovery.

My angry-gram resulted in a phone call from a Tech Support manager for OneCare.  We are exchanging e-mail and voice mail at this point but he seems sincere and knowledgable.  I will keep this board posted as progress (or lack thereof) is made.  However, I am hopeful that I have the attention of someone who can provide skillful Tech Support.

Thanks again for your suggestion,

Ken

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:32 PM
  • All -

I hope these updates may save you time and trouble.

I spent another 2.5 hours on the phone with a good Level 2 last night.  This one really has everyone stumped!  We removed and reloaded .NET Framework as it has reportedly caused some problems.  It worked - temporarily.  Unfortuantely we are back in the same position.  We made extensive use of Process Explorer (referenced above).  Esstenially it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

I am not trying to create a blog here.  I now know, both from here and from Microsoft, that this is a rapidly growing problem and they are VERY active in attempting to get to the root of it.  (I have the feeling I have become a "beta" tester for them!)  There have had over 5 total hours now on my PC using "EA" (Easy Assist - a remote session console they can use to watch and work first-hand with the problem).

I am trying to keep everyone informed of the steps being taken on the off-chance this can minimize any future problem you may encounter.  For what it's worth, we have enabled ALL Microsoft services to insure that there are no hidden, stopped "dependencies" - this did not help.

Regards,

Ken

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:59 PM
  • Ken, thanks for the follow-up and for the time you are taking to work with Microsoft to help resolve the problem for you and for others.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Hey thanks for info Ken.  Now maybe using that Process Explorer I can figure out why my one of two XP sys's seems to be the only one having that problem.

Glad you got some results from support too...it's frustrating enough trying to troubleshoot over emails and phone's, let alone getting a tech that don't pay attention.

Thanks again,

Bobby

Friday, December 14, 2007 9:37 AM
  • Just wanted to add my thanks Ken.  Your efforts are appreciated by many people that have been looking for answers to these problems.  You have indeed saved a lot of people from falling victim to this Microsoft mess.

Thanks again!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:02 AM
  • This Microsoft Mess !!!

Agreed this mess and many more messes are the result of an initial lack of concern on security by Microsoft.

Now that Microsoft is focussing on its users vs developer needs to have a scope or market to fill such as the

security markets , we in turn should stick it out with them as they strive to implement these security changes.

I for one am pleased with the way Microsoft is becomming more and more a company that is more like a community

or better yet a community college !!!

Want to learn a usefull and profitable trade?

Microsoft gives this to you FREE of charge.

to list a few examples of what I am reffering to.

Game development , via DX sdk's , the XNA game studio , and free beta's for testers of these that do not have

the needed platforms to run these suits.

the entire suite of programming tools , sql tools , robotics tools , web tools , system tools , system internals for

example. why did Microsoft purchase these tools and then give them away? was it greed ? was it to say we are

going to improve on these tools and then incorporate them into our own set of tools for a profit?

NO it was for a gift to those who have made Microsoft what it is today us the users of Microsoft products.

Granted I get extremely angry at times when trying to figure out some things that should have been avoided

long ago and at things that should be implemented now , but I have always used Microsoft when I could afford to

do so.

and that is what this all boils down to , Microsoft wanted to sell programming tools for the developers of Microsoft software yet they also wanted to sell office software which denies the developer the right to develope software that is similar to the Microsoft line of office software ,   Microsoft Office and the Microsoft line of Office tools is the leading Office suite in use today even though it is being approached quickly by the open source developers it is still the number one by choice.

although the other choice / choices are free.

This speaks loudly and tells me that soon there will be drastic changes in the restrictions placed on developers of

Microsoft software and / or Microsoft itself will reconfigure its profit goals.

As one care is a yearly subscription that includes all updates free with add on subscription extras.

I believe that Microsoft is heading towards even testing the water temperature by dipping their toes in the water

a fully subscription based service where every product Microsoft has will be availiable on a subscription

basis.

if you like XP then you download it and it installs , if you like WS03 , LH , you choose your subscription.

you choose the add ons , Office , Games , Tools , etc... whatever , whenever...

your system goes down , you boot to a live cd or dvd and in a few minutes your core is up and installing

your subscriptions or restoring from a backup located on another server somewhere.

no more upgrades from cd's no more re-purchassing the two year old OS and Office suites just a low basic

monthly subscription.

what does Microsoft get in return...

A whole lot more than they get now...and no more media or packaging or shipping cost involved.

the first boot installs the core OS from a ROM already on your box , this OS is just to get you to the subscription

of your choice when you purchased the box.

the install is automatic and fully isolated via security such as one care.

piracy? forget it , whos going to steal your yesterdays paper...when its more effective to buy todays paper...

the key to this is helping the data transmission speed via a dictionary located on the ROM.

the transmitted data may contain 1 bit of information that tells the loader program on the ROM to insert an entire line of machine code from the dictionary into the compiler it built on the RAM for the program it is building on your hard drive or flash memory blocks.

after all how many commands are in machine language anyway?

thats how big the dictionary needs to be.

P.S.

I want a free subscription...

Im poor.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 7:40 PM
  •  

Hello Ken or Steve,

I've been working constantly to try to figure out what to do about this problem, and have gotten nowhere. Tech support contacted me once with various suggestions, none of which changed the situation. I've reinstalled LOC three times, with no improvement. Here are the problems I'm (currently) experiencing:

- CPU at 100%, computer runs extremely slowly

- LOC doesn't start at boot up, starts on its own a bit later (sometimes) with a red logo and tells me that virus protection isn't on, but doesn't allow me to turn it on - result: all this time I'm spending online, I'm totally vulnerable to viruses, etc.

- I was recently informed that I have 15 days to renew my subscription (although I renewed it in October), and now I'm being informed that I'm not subscribed at all.

Since you both seem to have some idea of what you're talking about, is there a user-friendly solution in sight? i.e. a clear, step-by-step explanation that will begin to address these problems for someone like myself who isn't expert in navigating acronyms and advanced computer-speak? Or do I simply have to give up and resort to using AVG and eventually switching to a service such as Norton? I've lost untold hours of important work (and I suspect many others have), and I'm running out of patience here. Maybe you've already posted the solution, but I have difficulty figuring out what is solid advice and what's just wild stabs at makeshift solutions. Can you boil it down for me and others?

Thanks,

Patrick

Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:30 PM
  • Had the same problem myself. Found the work around in another post.

Click on the following: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2

It got rid of the problem, however, Peer Networking Service is not running. Don't know what it does anyway, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 11:03 PM
  •  Jigmay wrote:

Hello Ken or Steve,

I've been working constantly to try to figure out what to do about this problem, and have gotten nowhere. Tech support contacted me once with various suggestions, none of which changed the situation. I've reinstalled LOC three times, with no improvement. Here are the problems I'm (currently) experiencing:

- CPU at 100%, computer runs extremely slowly

- LOC doesn't start at boot up, starts on its own a bit later (sometimes) with a red logo and tells me that virus protection isn't on, but doesn't allow me to turn it on - result: all this time I'm spending online, I'm totally vulnerable to viruses, etc.

- I was recently informed that I have 15 days to renew my subscription (although I renewed it in October), and now I'm being informed that I'm not subscribed at all.

Since you both seem to have some idea of what you're talking about, is there a user-friendly solution in sight? i.e. a clear, step-by-step explanation that will begin to address these problems for someone like myself who isn't expert in navigating acronyms and advanced computer-speak? Or do I simply have to give up and resort to using AVG and eventually switching to a service such as Norton? I've lost untold hours of important work (and I suspect many others have), and I'm running out of patience here. Maybe you've already posted the solution, but I have difficulty figuring out what is solid advice and what's just wild stabs at makeshift solutions. Can you boil it down for me and others?

Thanks,

Patrick

I'm sorry to read of your various problems with OneCare. I recommend that you continue your open support case as no total solution for this problem has been found that I am aware of, although several different solutions have helped some people.

You've apparently got two main problems, the 100% CPU issue and the problem with OneCare either not starting or OneCare not starting the a/v service, and another problem now with the copy of OneCare on your PC not being activated. If your copy of OneCare upgraded to 2.0 and your problems began, the expired problem is a bug that required a reinstall - which you've done. However, if you reinstalled multiple times, you should also have activated at least the last time using the LiveID for your subscription (confirm that it is the right one at http://billing.microsoft.com).

-steve

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Hi folks,

Stephen, thought I would post this here but if you think it should be someone else I'll leave that up to you.

After scanning fourms here seemed to me a number of fixes forum members were managing to find themselves, that the peer-to-peer networking being enabled on their systems has been fixed by disabling (under services) or uninstalling(under add/remove windows components/network). 

So I tried uninstalling Peer-to-Peer (under add/remove/etc...) on my wife's Dell Dimension 4600, Intel P4 3 GHz, running Win XP SP2, reinstalled WLOC (after removing AVG), subscribed back to our subscription, and so far, NO PROBLEMS !!!

System and all programs installed on her system are running normally. 

Seems to me, now, that the problems lie within each individuals system and how they have it set up to run the way they want theirs to run.  That being said however, I'm sure there are some legitimate bugs in the upgrade that also need to be resolved too.

My HP Pavilion a1700n, AMD Athlon 3800+, 64 x2 system with Windows Vista Home Premium continues to cruise without problems all the way from when the upgrade came across to it.

Evidently, my wife's older system couldn't handle the communication load when connected to P2P and the 3rd system Onecare circle. Which by the way, my 3rd system is an Acer Aspire AST180, AMD Athlon 3800+, 64 x2, and has not had any problems either.

So therefore, the Dell system, with it's single core processor, could not handle the extra P2P load.

My thanks to all that are busting their butts trying to figure the upgrade out and posting their progress in the forum here, and to the moderators trying to maintain some kind of peace and order. 

Ya'll take care and good luck !!

Bobby

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Steve et al -

First, my appreciation to "Arvin" of LOC level 2 tech support.  He did his best to resolve my issues.  However, the problem was unresolvable (at least without more hours on the phone and access to my PC via MS Easy Assist).  I reluctantly uninstalled LOC and opted for a solution from another vendo (despite having 7 months of my existing subscription).  My thinking was that my limited time was worth more than the partial, residual value of the LOC subscription.

Though it may seem heresy, I went to GRISOFT.com and downloaded their free AV, Spyware & Root Kit detection software (3 separate products).  I installed and ran these without difficulty.  The "full, paid version" cost of this product suite (including a firewall) is less the than residucal value of my LOC subscription. 

I found I was being used as a late beta-tester.  I have no doubt that the level 2 tech was sincerely attempting to resolve my issues.  I wish I had better results to share.  However, good luck to all and you have my wishes for a happy and healthy holiday season.

Ken Gorman

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:06 PM
  •  Wooden Ships - Ken wrote:

Steve et al -

First, my appreciation to "Arvin" of LOC level 2 tech support.  He did his best to resolve my issues.  However, the problem was unresolvable (at least without more hours on the phone and access to my PC via MS Easy Assist).  I reluctantly uninstalled LOC and opted for a solution from another vendo (despite having 7 months of my existing subscription).  My thinking was that my limited time was worth more than the partial, residual value of the LOC subscription.

Though it may seem heresy, I went to GRISOFT.com and downloaded their free AV, Spyware & Root Kit detection software (3 separate products).  I installed and ran these without difficulty.  The "full, paid version" cost of this product suite (including a firewall) is less the than residucal value of my LOC subscription. 

I found I was being used as a late beta-tester.  I have no doubt that the level 2 tech was sincerely attempting to resolve my issues.  I wish I had better results to share.  However, good luck to all and you have my wishes for a happy and healthy holiday season.

Ken Gorman

Ken, thanks for the kind words and I certainly don't see using another package as heresy in light of the problems you have been dealing with. I suspect I'd have done the same in your shoes *and* I'm a moderator here with a pretty direct line to the OneCare team.

Happy Holidays to you, too, Ken. If you care to check back to see the status of these 2.0 problems, you may be willing to give OneCare another go before your subscription runs out.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:54 AM
  • I too have this problem and an open support case # 1052196984 that was closed today as unresolved. 

I've spent hours on the phone with Live OneCare Support.  Uninstalled & reinstalled Live OneCare twice.  Tweaked many settings - no joy.  Escalated to advanced Live OneCare then advanced operating system support.  They did an excellent job of tuning up my computer and spending another two hours of their time and mine before concluding that the problem was Live OneCare after all.  OS support pointed me to this thread as evidence that this is a well known issue in MS.  Their recommendation was that I go back to Live OneCare support and request the prior release and have any automatic updates to Live OneCare turned off.  The Live OneCare support team does not know how to do this.

Either no information is available about how and when this problem will be fixed or MS is still in denial, at least the Live OneCare people are in denial.  I was told to follow MS updates for further information over the next few weeks.  My response was that I would have Norton on all of my machines by then.

Since getting rid of Live OneCare, my system is now back to normal.  Processor utilization @ ~ 3-5% of capacity most of the time and lightning response.  I was running at 65% or more with a machine performing like it had an 8086 processor and 64K of ram.

How can MS release an upgrade with this kind of flaw?  How can they develop and test a software upgrade in-house without encontering the issue and resolving it before they automatically update thousands of computers in the field?  And why are Live OneCare Support people in such a state of denial about all of this?

Norton - here I come.

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:47 PM
  • I'm sorry to read of the support redirection you endured and sorry that this problem has soured you on OneCare.

The upgrade was tested extensively, but unfortunately, the problem didn't appear in testing. Keep in mind that there are literally infinite combinations of software and hardware in use.

-steve

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:34 AM