My transfer speed. Can it get any better? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings WHS fellows.

This is my very first posting at any MS forum. Hurray :) Many Google searches sent me to this forum and it seems to be the very best place to discuss WHS in-depth.

I just built myself a spiffy WHS with specs i theory sufficient to get maximum NAS performance over Gbit. Indeed, most of the times I get tremendous, sustainable cifs performance of 90-100MB/s client write and 88-95MB/s read. Quite nice. right?

The first days of testing showed different numbers, however. It fell into a 'slow mode' of 55MB/s write and 11-13MB/s read. Then, without warning it went consistently in normal, fast mode. It took me some time to discover that this was a client side issue. Trying different client NICs changed nothing. Reading forum threads here, made me suspect my Kaspersky anti-virus (KAV). Every time I permanently disabled KAV and reeboted I always got rid of the slow mode and it remained fast.

I now run AVK Free just to test an alternative. No slow mode, but read speed, as could be seen with KAV enabled is quite variable: 60-95MB/s, sustained. Any advice on what AV will best handle such fast file transfers?

The second observation is that, when running my very first WHS backup, the write speed is low: it is 15-18MB/s. Doing other writes at the same time from explorer runs full speed. The slow backup speed is very steady, almost capped, just like KAV in slow mode. Is this speed limitation simply the limitation of the WHS backup software? Edit: I had just added a USB harddrive at this point and realise 18MB/s is normal if the Drive Extender writes to USB. I'm still curious though, what backup speed people have. USB storage was only in use for the backup speed test.

The transfer speeds reported are real and sustainable for files larger than the WHS 2GB memory. I run an unsupported 64k stripe raid0 giving 130MB/s read/write locally on the server.

Cheers, Peder.
    • Edited by Peder Langlo Friday, May 29, 2009 7:46 PM Discovered usb bottle neck
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:53 PM

Answers

• Greetings WHS fellows.

This is my very first posting at any MS forum. Hurray :) Many Google searches sent me to this forum and it seems to be the very best place to discuss WHS in-depth.

I just built myself a spiffy WHS with specs i theory sufficient to get maximum NAS performance over Gbit. Indeed, most of the times I get tremendous, sustainable cifs performance of 90-100MB/s client write and 88-95MB/s read. Quite nice. right?

The first days of testing showed different numbers, however. It fell into a 'slow mode' of 55MB/s write and 11-13MB/s read. Then, without warning it went consistently in normal, fast mode. It took me some time to discover that this was a client side issue. Trying different client NICs changed nothing. Reading forum threads here, made me suspect my Kaspersky anti-virus (KAV). Every time I permanently disabled KAV and reeboted I always got rid of the slow mode and it remained fast.

I now run AVK Free just to test an alternative. No slow mode, but read speed, as could be seen with KAV enabled is quite variable: 60-95MB/s, sustained. Any advice on what AV will best handle such fast file transfers?

Neither of those A/Vs are supported on WHS.  You should get a WHS-specific A/V.  There are currently 2 for WHS:  avast! and F-Secure.  I use avast! on my server (as well as my clients) and it works fine for me.

The second observation is that, when running my very first WHS backup, the write speed is low: it is 15-18MB/s. Doing other writes at the same time from explorer runs full speed. The slow backup speed is very steady, almost capped, just like KAV in slow mode. Is this speed limitation simply the limitation of the WHS backup software? Edit: I had just added a USB harddrive at this point and realise 18MB/s is normal if the Drive Extender writes to USB. I'm still curious though, what backup speed people have. USB storage was only in use for the backup speed test.

I never clocked mine, but I'm only use 100Mb anyway, so I really can't help much there.

The transfer speeds reported are real and sustainable for files larger than the WHS 2GB memory. I run an unsupported 64k stripe raid0 giving 130MB/s read/write locally on the server.

As you said, RAID is unsupported on WHS.  Also, what are you reading/writing locally?  There should be no reason to do either of those.

Cheers, Peder.

• Marked as answer by Peder Langlo Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:48 PM
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:45 AM

All replies

• Greetings WHS fellows.

Neither of those A/Vs are supported on WHS.  You should get a WHS-specific A/V.  There are currently 2 for WHS:  avast! and F-Secure.  I use avast! on my server (as well as my clients) and it works fine for me.

I never clocked mine, but I'm only use 100Mb anyway, so I really can't help much there.

As you said, RAID is unsupported on WHS.  Also, what are you reading/writing locally?  There should be no reason to do either of those.

Cheers, Peder.

• Marked as answer by Peder Langlo Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:48 PM
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:45 AM
  • The first days of testing showed different numbers, however. It fell into a 'slow mode' of 55MB/s write and 11-13MB/s read. Then, without warning it went consistently in normal, fast mode. It took me some time to discover that this was a client side issue. Trying different client NICs changed nothing. Reading forum threads here, made me suspect my Kaspersky anti-virus (KAV). Every time I permanently disabled KAV and reeboted I always got rid of the slow mode and it remained fast.

Sorry, I was not clear in my description about AV. I run no AV on the server. This is on the client side. However, the strange 'slow mode' has proven to be regardless of what AV the client uses. In fact the problem is there even without AV software. I will post a separate thread on the 'slow mode' as I have tried a lot of tests/fixes but the intermittent, slow network speed persists. A 90% loss on client read speed is no fun :(

The local read/write on the server refers to disk benchmarking to make sure the server's IO-substystem can outperform my Gbit network speed, i.e. the disk will not be a bottleneck for the server. The WHS is single threaded in the sense that it writes only to one disk during a single file transfer. Without raid/striping there is no way WHS can deliver sustained Gbit speeds.

Take care, Peder.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:33 PM