Changing MS Money months to coincide with my pay dates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys, I know this program is not supported anymore, but I am hoping someone still can help? I get paid on the 25th Of the month. So my month end starts of the 25th of a month and ends the 24th of the month. There are no problems drawing reports etc, but I cannot get the budget to work out the variances correctly. Is there somewhere I can set the month = to the 25th to the 24th and this becomes the "current month"?

Also I do I change the date format in the transaction table?

Thanks Albert

Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:04 PM

All replies

• I have nothing on the budget month.

Regarding dates, I don't know what you mean by the transaction table. I think Money dates follow the setting in Windows for short dates. See the control panel for Regional settings.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Seems to me this is all just a "mindset". You get paid $X.XX each month. Money accumulates information in various ways. Normally, most Money users accumulate by month, although it is possible to accumulate by day, by week or even by year. In your case, it seems you receive the bulk of your revenue on the 25th of the month. Therefore it would not make sense to me for you to want to accumulate data by week since you probably would constantly show three weeks of various expenses with no revenue to offset it and then one week where your revenue exceeds your expenses. The most reasonable way to look at your finances is to record and report your information by month. This is the way Money naturally works.  So you would budget the month of April showing expenses on the dates in April when you pay the bills. You would budget your paycheck for April 25th. You would set your reporting to show ALL your expenses for April and ALL your revenue (Paycheck, etc.)for April.  "Think" of it as reporting by month, not as reporting by March 25th thru April 24th. There is no reason, in my opinion, to try to define it that way.

As a separate and workable exercise you CAN use the Money cash flow reporting to identify how your money works day by day. The cash flow reporting is SEPARATE but linked with the financial reporting. If you have accounting background it helps to understand and work with Money. Good luck.

Steve

Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:20 PM