Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I ran into a problem the other day. I have all my music in my home server and each user has access to it via there shared folder with read only rights. This did not matter when files where deleated from in side itunes. When the music files where deleated from itunes all my music was gone. Windows Home Server works great for backing up all other Computers but it self. There need's to be a way so files that are deleated from a shared folder can be recoverd or at least a recycle bin to recover from. What is the best way to keep this from happening again?
    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

• Connect another harddisk to your server, configure as backup disk (do not add the disk to the storage pool), then from the Computers and Backup Tab configure server backup. Please note server backup can (sadly) not be automated, so you manually need to run backups regularly.

From your post it's not clear which account is actually used for deleting the files, and I have no personal experience with i-tunes. Could be system account or dedicated account for i-tunes. If you know which account is used to actually delete files you could deny "delete subfolders and files" for this account; logon to the home server using remote desktop, open explorer window, navigate to D:\shares, right click appropriate share, select properties, then security tab, advanced, select appropriate user, click edit. Please note this method is unsupported and you risk messing up your server when make any error.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 2:58 AM